Trane AC Crankcase Heaters

Old 04-21-11, 11:14 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Trane AC Crankcase Heaters

My (former HVAC) technician fixed a (No freon condition) for me last year and told me that the crankcase heater had shorted out. Im ready now to check the system for this season, and after numerous calls, I still don't have the heaters back in place. Are these heaters expensive, and is there any reason I cannot install one or two of them if required myself? I do not have the numbers of the main unit here right now, but will post them later if required.

Old 04-21-11, 05:26 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Must be an old unit, newer residential units don't even have a crankcase heater. And although important, crankcase heaters are not absolutely necessary. On a hot day I might even suggest you turn it on reguardless of crankcase heater. Now mind you I've only seen it done once, but after the crankcase heater shorted we just left it as is and unit worked fine. The crankcase heater just heats up the oil that sits in the compressor.

Old 04-21-11, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
if its on a trane, then it must be a heat pump..... If you are using your system as a heat pump then I would recommend replacing it.....If not a heat pump or not using it as a heat pump then its not as important and you can probably get away with out using one. However, if your system does have one from the factory then it was put on there for a reason. They CAN be very hard to remove from their slot where they are held in place on the bottom of the compressor. If you cant get it out then you will need to find out how much wattage the old was rated at and get a similar wattage in a belly band style.

Old 04-24-11, 05:01 PM
W
Crankcase heaters

I took the cover off the outside compressor today to see what I had left over from the HVAC visit I mentioned earlier. This is not a heat pump, Just an AC unit attached to a trane furnace. I saw where he cut the wires that would have gone to the crankcase heater if there is, or was one there. Since I have never seen one, there may in fact be one still under the compressor for all I know. I do know that the AC ran all year without the crankcase heater, and I figured that I could get away with that considering that it was summer. I have learned that these heaters are required for the cold that is created by the AC unit as well as the outside temperature. If that is the case, then I think I should put one back in place. Are these heaters expensive?

Old 05-16-11, 11:24 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
crankcase heater prevents liquid refrigerant from migrating to the compressor during cold outside temps. If you run your ac lets say constantly below 65 deg. than you might consider a cch if not I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-16-11, 07:50 PM
W
Crankcase Heaters

The third HVAC service company was a trane dealer, and their service manager was kind enough to answer my questions, and they agreed with your assessment. Fortunately for Grandma, 80 degrees is cold to her, so running the system below 65 ambient is not really an issue. I cranked it up for a test last week at about 75 degrees ambient and it worked great. (of course compressor damage by something like the migration you mention is probably a silent killer, (like high blood pressure). If the first guy had explained that instead of just ignoring my calls, he might have gotten a call or two from me in the future. Go figure...

Old 05-17-11, 05:19 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
glad to be of service hope everything is okay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: