whistling from my furnace and air blowing out the exhaust

Old 04-27-11, 06:39 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whistling from my furnace and air blowing out the exhaust

I have a carrier gas furnace - highboy stack setup.

Anyhow, I notice tonight (just started running AC) that there is a loud whistling coming from the furnace. if I beat around on the duct work which surrounds the evaporator cores, it changes pitch. definitely sounds like air escaping and whistling much like if you blew through your fingers.

Also, I note that there is much cold air blowing out from the gas exhaust vent in the top of this unit. it blows out almost with force. definitely coming from the exhaust, if I put my hands around it I can feel it. isn't that only supposed to have exhaust from the natural gas burners exit from it? should there be pressurized cold air coming from it? Also, I note fairly low air volume from the house registers.

Is this a open shut case of the clogged evaporator?

thoughts?

Old 04-27-11, 08:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like the evap coil box needs sealed to the top of the furnace...but yes, maybe clogged evap coil

Old 04-30-11, 06:35 AM
A
How about maybe a split or cracked heat exchanger & a cloged E-coil

Old 04-30-11, 08:33 AM
E
sounds like a cracked heat exchanger. inside the furnace are these tubes that heat up with gas/air flame and the blower motor blows on these which would produce heat in the winter. these tubes are connected to the exhaust and only these tubes are connected to exhaust. So if you have cold air coming from it, then i definately think you have a cracked heat exchanger. Did you or anyone in the house have headaches when the heat was running? Well if you did, now you know why, cracked heat exchanger.

Old 05-02-11, 11:38 AM
M
I'll check all those items. thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: