Old Trane System leaking from coils, replace air handler for now?

Old 05-09-11, 10:56 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Trane System leaking from coils, replace air handler for now?

My 13 year old Trane is leaking from the coils...what surprise...my A/C guy said he could replace the air handler with a Amana that would run the 22 refrigerant and after the outside unit goes replace that then...this sounds good as I don't have lot's of $$$ and my job is not secure anymore.

Last year we had to put like $200 in freon in it and I figured the efficiency of the new unit would probably save a little in electricity so would this be the best option I have? I don't like throwing away $200 per year.

Old 05-09-11, 01:23 PM
T
You can definately just change the Air Handler. I do it all the time. You probably wont get the higher efficiency unless you change inside and outside so that it matches. I do "half chageouts" either the inside or the outside unit all the time and have never had a complaint. You can always change the outside unit when it fails or you have the extra cash. They are making R22 units that are charged with nitrogen so you will always be able to get one when needed.

Old 05-11-11, 10:00 AM
C
still asking...and I have had two techs tell me that mixing a 22 with the 410 handler will work but that getting the oil from the 22 completely out is hard and mixing can cause problems because the oils from the 22 and 410 do Not mix and they will congeal and eventually cause problems with the whole system...is this correct?

Old 05-11-11, 05:17 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
NO! YOU CAN NOT MIX R410A ANYTHING WITH R22. Having said that, you are asking if a r22 air handler can be replaced, and the answer is yes, it can, they are still available.

Old 05-13-11, 11:13 AM
C
Originally Posted by hvactechfw
NO! YOU CAN NOT MIX R410A ANYTHING WITH R22. Having said that, you are asking if a r22 air handler can be replaced, and the answer is yes, it can, they are still available.
Humm...I have had 2 local big a/c companies/ installers say they can...they can just replace the air handler now and with the Goodman they say they don't even have to replace the valve as it will work with 22 or 410 but with the Comfort Air they would have to replace the valve, think it's a pressure valve they were referring to, and they told me they would clean/vacuum the system when the compressor has to be replaced with a 410 unit...so who is correct?

Old 05-13-11, 05:28 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I would not do that! If it is used for 22 then it should not be used for 410. there is no way to know for sure you have it completely cleaned of old oil. I believe you are talking about a txv. There is NO txv that can be used for both 410 and 22. You could maybe use a piston for both but never a txv. Btw, TXV = Thermal Expansion Valve.

Old 05-16-11, 07:13 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you let someone or you change the outside coil to r410 and not change the inside coil orfice or coil you will be very disappointed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: