Compressor and fan will not always start.

Old 05-10-11, 04:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor and fan will not always start.

My compressor and fan on the outside unit will not start reliably. Once unit does start, it will run until call for cooling is terminated. The unit is a Rheem Prestige. The led code is "5" on the diagnostic display. The incoming power is 440vac at the pcb. The start and run caps both measure good. All connections look good and wiring is correct per the schematic. If I press the test button or command the unit on from inside, the fan turns a little but compressor doesn't come up or make any noise. I can here the start relay switching. The fan stops and the unit will reattempt to come up in 5 minute intervals. Once running, it will stay up until the desired temp is met. Could I have a high pressure situation with my compressor? Should I swap the start relay just for giggles? Are there any other tests without having to dump the charge? The contractor who installed the unit is unavailable till this weekend. This Texas heat will kill us till then.

Old 05-10-11, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
440V?! Do you have a model number? or a picture of the schematic you can post?

Old 05-11-11, 05:50 AM
S
Sorry I got work and home mixed up. I work on linear accelerators for a living and they run on 440vac. The unit is an RPQL-JEZ model line at the incoming voltage measures at 244.5vac. Sorry I don't have an electronic copy of the schematic. The fan does not run through the start cap. It is a single system, if that helps. I'm gonna clip my meter on today and see if I'm getting a voltage drop when attempting to start. It started running again last night around 8pm.

W

Old 06-01-11, 06:25 AM
L
Same issue in ohio

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same model (3.5 ton) and I get the same error code (5). It seems to be able to get started at night. . .But during the day it tires for a couple of seconds and then just quits. . .Was wondering if the run cap or the built in hard start kit was bad? The unit is only 4 months old and this is our second issue (the big fan motor needed replaced). . .

David

Old 06-01-11, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lakindc
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same model (3.5 ton) and I get the same error code (5). It seems to be able to get started at night. . .But during the day it tires for a couple of seconds and then just quits. . .Was wondering if the run cap or the built in hard start kit was bad? The unit is only 4 months old and this is our second issue (the big fan motor needed replaced). . .

David
If only 4 months old, call your contractor back, should be in warranty

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: