RUUD heat pump air conditioner frozen over. fan isnt blowing air out vents.

Old 05-13-11, 07:38 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RUUD heat pump air conditioner frozen over. fan isnt blowing air out vents.

hey.
so i am hot here in georgia and had to use my air conditioner.
i came home yesterday to an air conditioner that doesnt work.
it is a ruud achiever 10 seer heat pump with a/c.
model no. upka-035jaz

here is a video i made to explain my problem. please watch!

YouTube - Need help repairing ruud achiever 10 seer air conditioner

i first notice the vents had no air coming out last night. i can not hear the circulation fan blowing.
i went outside this morning to the unit to see what was wrong and the copper line inside is frozen over with a block of ice!

what can i do? i can work on cars and heavy equipment and do basic wiring in a house. i am pretty crafty so i can do most things unless i dont have the tools.
i have a volt meter.
basic tools.

i am not sure where to find parts for the unit. i will ask around in my small town.

any help would be appreciated!!!!

thanks!

Old 05-13-11, 07:54 AM
J
i can not hear the circulation fan blowing.
Check the indoor blower. See if it's running. We need to know for sure one way or the other.

Old 05-13-11, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,106 Upvotes on 1,885 Posts
I would check the fan on the outdoor unit. With the power off stick a screw driver through the slats and give the fan a spin. Does it spin freely or is it stuck in place or seem difficult to turn (shot bearings)? Does the outside fan run when the compressor is running? If not it's possible you have a bad fan motor. If you hear the fan humming and it's hot to the touch it's possible you have a bad capacitor. If you do end up replacing the fan motor be very careful to not bend the blades and also replace the capacitor when you do a new motor.

I would also check your inside air handler. On your thermostat in the house switch the fan to "on" (not auto or off). This should make the circulate blower run. If the blower does not run I would check that motor to see if it's shot.

Old 05-16-11, 08:19 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the outside fan is not running believe me there would be no ice on the liquid line, bad advice for a homeowner to stick a screwdriver into anything. The unit either has a dirty evap coil shortage of freon or a blower that is not working correctly, in either case HO is getting in over their head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: