Switch for a 40+ year old westinghouse wall ac.

Old 05-15-11, 09:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch for a 40+ year old westinghouse wall ac.

We are looking to replace a A/C switch for an old Westinghouse
thru wall AC.

The old switch caught on fire awhile back. It has 12 connectors total.
9 on the back and 3 on the bottom. 2 for power (230 volt),, 2 for the
Thermostat and I guess the rest go to the 2 Capacitors. (I will look better at the wires tomorrow).

The system is 230 volts. 12 AMPS. 2550 WATTS. 14,000 BTU. With HEAT. 60 CYCLE. 1 PHASE. (COOL HI/LO. HEAT HI/LO. FAN HI/LO.)

My question: Does anyone know where I should look to find this very old switch? I checked online without any success.

Thanks again!!

CHAS60

Old 05-15-11, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It is very doubtful you will be able to find the switch. With that said it would probably be more economical to replace the unit as efficiencies have increased since that unit was manufactured.

Old 05-15-11, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Might also want to take into consideration WHY it caught on fire. Switches normally fail when the contacts get so bad that they weld together or wear so much they won't make contact.

Catching on fire would indicate to me an overcurrent issue possibly with the heating elements or compressor depending on what was being used.

I'm amazed that a 40 y/o unit still functions at all.

Old 05-20-11, 07:28 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by hvactechfw
It is very doubtful you will be able to find the switch. With that said it would probably be more economical to replace the unit as efficiencies have increased since that unit was manufactured.
I also had an old Westinghouse unit, but it was a central system. I was proud I was able to keep it running so long by keeping the condensing coils clean and condenser fan motor oiled, but when the compressor finally locked up in a storm, I had to replace it. The increased efficiency of the new unit paid for itself in just a few years. Then, I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: