Evaporator Coil Condensation Leak

Old 05-17-11, 04:00 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Evaporator Coil Condensation Leak

I just inherited this HVAC forced air system, and discovered a condensation leak from the evaporator coils. The leak does not occur when the heat is on, and is most severe on hot humid days with the AC running. I took a panel off the HVAC and observed it running. I poured water into the drip pan, and it's draining and is not rusted (plastic). What I saw was that there are two coils that have condensation dripping outside the drip pan, instead of water running down the coil and dripping down at the evaporator unit. The water would hit a bend in the coil, then drip - just outside the drip pan. Moving the drip pan, moves the evaporator unit, giving no help. I cleaned the two coils (which had build up) with a wire brush, and now the water drips at the evaporator. Was this the fix? If so, how should I do a more thorough cleaning of those two coils? If not, any suggestions on what the fix is?

Old 05-20-11, 10:44 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you say you have two coils, I'll assume that your looking at a "A" coil. I think I'd go to an A/C supply and get a can of spray on evaporator foam coil cleaner. Spray it on, let it work, (as directions,) and run the unit in cool. The condensate from the warm air will rinse the coil. You will not have condensate water in heat. Be sure to get evaporator cleaner, NOT condenser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: