Portable AC recommendation

Old 05-17-11, 05:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable AC recommendation

When Hurricane Ike came through Houston, we were without power for 16 days. After a few days had past and we found out that the power wasn't going to come on any time soon, I borrowed a 10K BTU window unit and ran it with a 5500W generator. This combination actually worked very well for the entire time we didn't have power and kept the main part of the house cool.

I was going to get a small (9-10K BTU) dual-hose portable AC unit to use for backup during hurricane season since it is easier to set up and I wanted to get some input from the experts on here as to which brands of units to avoid, etc.

Old 05-25-11, 04:55 AM
D
i am going to keep an eye out as I have been thinking of getting one. The only problem I see is having to dump the water when it gets full.

Old 05-25-11, 08:26 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Most dual-duct portables spray the condensate over the condenser where it evaporates and is exhausted with the hot air. Unless you have REALLY high humidity they will not need to have the condensate pan emptied.

Old 05-25-11, 09:46 AM
D
Originally Posted by Furd
Most dual-duct portables spray the condensate over the condenser where it evaporates and is exhausted with the hot air. Unless you have REALLY high humidity they will not need to have the condensate pan emptied.
The only ones I can find that will fit my window is single tube. I also read that even though it says you do not have to empty it you still have to.

Old 05-25-11, 10:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
I have a single hose model and I'd definitely say get the dual hose type. It works but the efficiency is less since it's blowing air out any air leaks in your house let outside warm air in. I took a cardboard box and duct taped it to the coil intake and ran 6" flexible duct to another window, turning it into a two hose model. This would allow the unit to work with small windows provided you have two of them.

Since the single hose AC with my box taped to the side is less than attractive it has been relegated to my toy car garage. I put a large air vent and intake through the back wall (out of sight), now the unit does not need windows.

Old 05-25-11, 01:48 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The only ones I can find that will fit my window is single tube.
Every two-duct model I have ever seen has the ability to modify the window adapter to fit almost any window. Maybe if you could provide a link to the two-duct models that you think will not fit I can make some suggestions.

I also read that even though it says you do not have to empty it you still have to.
Under some conditions of VERY high indoor humidity you might have to periodically drain the condensate tank but in the vast majority of cases the evaporation and removal via the exhaust air will sufficient.

Old 05-25-11, 03:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
My older, single hose model has a catch basin that can easily accommodate a days worth of condensate.

Old 05-25-11, 04:08 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just a thought have you looked into a two stage Hvac system

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: