New AC producing too much water

Old 05-22-11, 06:14 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New AC producing too much water

I had a new AC installed last year (trane 15 seer). It seems to produce lots of more water. The primary drain pipe couldn't handle that much flow. So the secondary drain pipe starts dropping water to the driping pan.
Last year, I asked an AC guy. He said that newer models are supposed to produce more water and more quickly?
Is this true? I used dry/wet vac to suck out the primary pipe from under my sink. But the pipe doesn't seem to be able to handle full flow of water that quickly regardless.

Is there any setting in AC that the installer may have overlooked and as a result, it produces too much water?

Old 05-22-11, 08:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
it should pull out humidity.... the pipe and or drain it is hooked too may be partially blocked and that is your problem.

Old 05-23-11, 12:52 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Does drain line have a trap on it?

If yes, make sure the top of the trap isn't at a higher point than the coil's drain pan.

Old 05-23-11, 01:21 AM
G
nope it just only trap humidity from your room ....

Old 05-23-11, 07:21 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if the drain is anegative pressure drain than it should be a sealed p-trap, if positive that it should have a vented p-trap if not draining properly somthing is wrong with the drainline itself. Air conditioners are designed to pull moisture from the air.

Old 05-23-11, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Muggle
Does drain line have a trap on it?

If yes, make sure the top of the trap isn't at a higher point than the coil's drain pan.
Why are both drains going into a single pipe? If the one pipe gets plugged, you're in trouble. In my area each drain from the air handler must go into a separate pipe & the overflow or secondary pan must be terminated to a point easily visible.

Old 05-24-11, 07:12 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the installer didnt put in an emergency drain pan thats why the are both piped into the same pipe.

Old 06-04-11, 07:09 PM
J
Have you looked into the drain pipe attachment to the pan. The water in my pan has to reach a level of about half an inch before it drains. So there is always water in my pan. The auxiliary drain in not attached that much higher than the main. So if you bump the main line by accident and it moves up just a little bit, you may have added that extra 1/8 inch barrier to where the water will go down the auxiliary line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: