where to put portable ac unit, high or low better?

Old 05-27-11, 11:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
where to put portable ac unit, high or low better?

Im having a tuff shed installed which I am adding insulation and drywall and an Ac unit. Its only 120 sq feet in total.

I would like to place a single ac unit either in front of or in back of the French doors in the picure below (3 foot area either side). So it has to go on the wall on the left side of the picture below.

As far as height goes however I can basically put the ac unit anywhere I want up to about 7 feet in height down to next to the floor because this is a shed just being built now and I can frame out myself or have it hired etc.
I live in Southern Ca.

Whats the best location to cool whole room but especialy over near the piano area.

Questions 5000 btu or 6500 but unit?

acunit and small fan or ac alone?

AC placed high up on wall so doesnt blow on people sitting directly in front or is direct cooling the way to go?

Any general guidance on placing window ac unit or specific guidelines apprecated! Thanks!

Tims_Shed1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Tim T.; 05-27-11 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typing mistake
Old 05-28-11, 10:12 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would install it as high as possible because cool air will sink. This will cause the warmer air at the ceiling to be mixed with the cooler air from the A/C unit and give less of a temperature gradient from floor to ceiling.

I would also place the unit in a corner of the shorter wall so that the airflow "washes" the longer wall. My preferred location would be the lower left corner of your drawing where it says "parents".

As for the size...hard to make any kind of definitive statement without knowing much more about the building, the site and other environmental factors. Smaller is probably better than larger because a larger unit will cycle and adversely affect the relative humidity which will be more uncomfortable for the people and also detrimental to the piano.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: