Compressor stops running while Fan continues (temp not reached)

Old 05-31-11, 06:36 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor stops running while Fan continues (temp not reached)

Hello.
Current temp reading is on thermostat is 78. The desired temp on our thermostat is set to 75. The compressor and fan both run for some time but at some point the compressor outside just stops running but the fan inside keeps blowing and blowing. The temp is only at 77. It never reached the desired temp so I am not sure why the compressor is turning off. We replaced the thermostat thinking that might be the problem but the issue still takes place. If I turn the thermostat to OFF and let it cycle, the compressor and fan come back on. I'm really frustrated and any help would be greatly appreciated.
RC in Texas

Old 05-31-11, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
possibly there is a low pressure switch tripping which would indicate low refrigerant charge.

Old 05-31-11, 06:54 PM
G
Thank you so much for chiming in. We serviced the unit just last year I suppose if it is a pressure issue, then I might have a leak somewhere.

Old 05-31-11, 07:00 PM
that would be a good guess if it is a low pressure issue.

Old 05-31-11, 07:48 PM
G
It's been so hot in Texas. If it was low pressure don't you think it would have tripped even when the weather was a bit cooler? What about the possibility of HIGH pressure.

Old 05-31-11, 07:51 PM
that is a possibility as well, however, often high pressure switches have to be manually reset, but not always

Old 05-31-11, 08:13 PM
J
We have this doodad on our compressor that allows the electric company to temporarily turn our compressor off to help them manage their load. In exchange for allowing them to do this, they offer some kind of free problem diagnosis service on the HVAC (probably useless.. don't know, never used it).

It looks like a plastic box on the compressor with some LED lights to show its status.

Maybe you have something similar?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: