Achiever 10 problems...electrical?

Old 06-01-11, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Achiever 10 problems...electrical?

Hi Guys!

I have an a/c unit Ruud Achiever 10. it is working just for a few hours and then shuts down, but just on the outside...I just find out that it turns off because the breaker in the panel goes off. Do you think it is an electrical problem or is the unit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-11, 06:52 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
It could be either, but you have provided absolutely no information for anyone to consider. What is the wire size and type? Breaker size? Voltage? What is full load amps of the unit? What is MOCP on the unit? What is MCA on the unit? Is this a new unit or has it run well in the past without tripping the breaker?

Old 06-02-11, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
More.....has the unit been properly cleaned of dirt, leaves, etc.? Have the inside filters been changed regularly? Could be a contactor, but like Joe said, we need more information. Oh welcome to the forums!

Old 06-02-11, 07:15 AM
Hi Guys! Thanks for your responses!

The unit was working fine, but last week it turned off. I cleaned it yesterday, but was very dirt before. The guy from the warranty said it is the compressor and that we need to replace the whole unit; but he spent just 5 minutes looking at it. I touched the pipe that goes from the unit to the house and it was cold and wet. I don't know if that is a sign of a working compressor??? I assume the breaker size and the wire are the right, since it has been working for a long time, but I don't know, maybe I am wrong. I just want to be sure of my next steps, you know, I don't want to spent a lot of money and then find out that i just had to change the breaker or something like that. Thanks for your help! G

Old 06-02-11, 08:31 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
GamaF, I have moved you to the AC Forum because this may be more then just an electrical problem.

Old 06-02-11, 08:26 PM
sounds like it might be short cycling and tripping the breaker.... Is your t-stat digital? Most digital t-stats have built in short cycling delay.... If manual stat, then these tend to cause problems as they get older