Window ac physical dimensions vs installation dimensions

Old 06-01-11, 11:01 PM
Window ac physical dimensions vs installation dimensions

Hi,

I'm cursed with windows that are only 20" wide and while I have no problem finding units online that measure less than that (usually 18 1/2") it always seems to state in the manual that the minimum installation width is say 22" or 23" wide. I'm wondering why this is and if it would still be possible for me to install one of these since physically they should fit.

Is it maybe the filler panels causing this problem and aren't they optional anyway?

My other options would be to a) buy a portable unit but reviews on these are always very mixed with lots of people claiming they only cool down maybe 10 degrees. If I'm spending $400+ on a portable it should be able to keep my 15 X 12 room at a constant temperature of 68 degrees I'd say. Or b) buy a casement/slider window model but that too is $400+ and the width of it is only 14 1/2" so I'd have to fill in the remaining gaps.

All this vs a $150 unit that should physically fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-11, 11:09 PM
I've installed two different window units in windows just slightly wider than the actual dimensions of the case. You do need to get creative in building a shelf and side panels and if you have horizontally sliding windows then you need to build a blanking panel to close off the space above the unit.

Old 06-02-11, 04:31 AM
I was in your boat. My windows are 22 inches wide so I bought one that was for 22 inches wide and it did not work. I had no alternative but to get a window unit. It did a pretty good job last night. Today will I get home will be the real test how well it works.

Old 06-02-11, 08:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses. I don't know how I missed your post on selecting a window unit david but it seems like everything I needed to know was already covered there Was the 22" the unit's width itself or the installation width? Also curious to know how your portable worked out, how much it cools, what model etc.

Old 06-03-11, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by sgtexp View Post
Thanks a lot for the responses. I don't know how I missed your post on selecting a window unit david but it seems like everything I needed to know was already covered there Was the 22" the unit's width itself or the installation width? Also curious to know how your portable worked out, how much it cools, what model etc.
The unit said it fit windows 22-37 inches I think. I saw it at home depot it was the 8000 btu unit. Once you add the side panels on though the window really seems to need to be about 25-26 inches wide.

I also picked up the portable unit at Home Depot it was the LG 13,000 BTU unit. The room we have it in is actually what used to be the outside part of the house but was enclosed. Insulation is almost non existent in this room and lets in a lot of hot air it seems. It seems as it was cheaply done. So the unit does a pretty good job in that room. The room is about 415 square feet and says it will do up to 500. Installation took about 30 minutes or so, but I think that had a lot to do with the way the windows are and a few other things. It seems to keep it fairly cool and I have had it on for a few days now and have not had to empty it yet. It does have a nice hum to it that you can hear, but not over bearing. The room also opens up to the rest of the house so it is hard to tell how well it may do in like a bedroom or something. But how well it does in the romm it is in now, I would think it would do a great job in a regular room. Just last night I read the manual in more detail and it has a swing option which moves the vent up and down to allow more air flow in the room rather than a direct line of sight.

So I would actually recommend it for a room around 400 square feet or less. I really think the room could use a second one. if it was not soo expensive, I would get another one as well for my situation.

Good luck.