Help! Mouse fried A/C compressor fan motor

Old 06-02-11, 04:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Mouse fried A/C compressor fan motor

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and glad to have found it.

Went to turn on the central AC but got no cold air. The AC unit is a Trane XL1400 Model: TTY036B100A0 S/N: Z095MRY1F. On further investigation I found that a mouse got into the outdoor compressor control box and ate the insulation and some copper strands off the fan motor 220v wires and fan controller board wires. The fan control board and fan motor ecm were burned. I bought a new control board. As for the fan motor I read the thread about replacing just motor ecm's but no one has them in stock. Suppliers want $400 - $900 for a new motor with ecm module. I think the motor is okay. I used an ohmmeter across each of the 3 motor wires and each pair reads 15.5 ohms. There's nothing burned on the power supply board, but the 4 pin connector on the ecm controller board has 1 pin that's burned. Only pins 1 and 4 are used on this connector; it's a middle pin that's burned. I'm sure the potted board has burns underneath the connector but I don't know how to get the board out without breaking it. Does any one know if these ecm's can be repaired down to the controller board? The other thing is I'd be happy if I can just get the fan to run at a single speed instead of variable speed. I'd consider wiring just the motor to the 220 v relay but don't know if the motor uses a start cap or start-run cap. Does anyone know how to wire the motor with a cap (if needed) for single speed operation? The motor has 3 wires: red, blue and yellow into a 3 pin connector. The motor's rated at 2.8 amps so if it runs at its rated 850 rpms it would only draw about 600 watts which is fine by me. I have photos but haven't figured out yet how to attach them but that's another story. Thanks for any and all help. - Dr Hail

Old 06-02-11, 05:05 PM
E
you could buy a single speed 850 rpm for about $100

Last edited by hvactechfw; 06-02-11 at 06:37 PM. Reason: removed non beneficial info
Old 06-02-11, 06:46 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
that motor runs on DC. IF you want single speed you would need a new 240VAC motor with capacitor.

Old 06-03-11, 05:55 AM
D
Still getting quotes on an original replacement motor. If the cost is way high then I may go with a single speed motor setup. Where would I get an 850 rpm 240 vac replacement motor
with cap? - DrHail

Old 06-03-11, 06:32 AM
D
Here is a photo of the motor / ecm. Aren't these specs for 230 vac? If so, could the motor be direct wired to the 220 volt relay?

Old 06-03-11, 12:57 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
you are correct that it is rated @ 230Vac.... I worked on one of these today, but no it can not be wired in that way. You can get a 825 rpm universal motor that will work for the time being, but best to replace the broken one with OEM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: