Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

A/C condenser fan starts with stick push only - then overheats/stops in 5 min

Old 06-03-11, 06:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The AC stopped putting out cold air, and I noticed the fan on the outside unit wasn't turning. The top, center above the motor was extremely hot. Let it cool down over several hours. Turned the AC back on, but only heard a slight noise. With a push-start, the fan started and the air was cold again inside, but the motor got very hot quickly again and stopped again within 5 minutes. The fan would continue to run as long as I kept putting water on the outside coils and kept it cool.

After reading on here, I took off the panel and noticed one large capacitor; but it only has a rusted top (no bulging or cracks that I can find). I can post any pics of anything needed if that would help.

Can I test the capacitor to confirm whether it is bad?
Anything else to test/check?

Old 06-03-11, 01:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
for the cost of a new capacitor VS. buying a meter that will check capacitors I would just replace the capacitor for $20 or less if you can find one. There is a good chance that it is the capacitor that is the problem, but it might be that your motor has also had it........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: