A/C not working to full capacity

Old 06-04-11, 12:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C not working to full capacity

Hi All,
I was hopiing someone might have some advice on my home central a/c issue. Bryant Plus80, Model 311AAV, 7 years old.
I turned on my a/c last weekend for the first time this year here in Michigan and it cooled off the house great for several hours during the day, but stopped working in the evening. I belive it's somehow tied to the inducer motor not kicking on or low refridgerant, but needed a sounding board. The air coming out the registers was nil when it stopped cooling the house down and I belive the coils froze up due to some condensation I saw.
There's a brand new air filter on the unit.
The outside condenser appears to be working fine.
The blower wheel appeared to be working fine.
The circuit board LED was solid, showing no fault codes. Fuse on the board is ok also.
Turned the Heat on a few days ago and the inducer wheel was working fine, but when I try to cool the house down (fickle temps here in Michigan), the inducer motor doesn't turn on. There is cool air (62 degrees) coming out of the registers when I first turn it on.
Here's my questions:
Should the inducer motor be running with the a/c turned on?
If it should be running, and it's not, does that mean a relay on the circuit board went?
Any other suggestions of what the issue could be?
Thanks, Kevin

Old 06-04-11, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The inducer is only for the furnace....
Icing on the evaporator coils (after the fan) indicates low airflow or low charge...if the filters are clean..then the charge is suspect. The reason the airflow went down is because it couldn't flow through the ice.

You'll need to get a tech out to check the charge and find the leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: