Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

72 degrees with central air still seems hot in our house - think humidity high

Old 06-05-11, 02:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So, we run our air at 72 degrees. Central air is supposed to act as a dehumidifier, right? In the winter, we burn wood so I'm sure it's very dry and 80 in the house is comfortable. In the summer, our house is 72 and I'm uncomfortably hot. I'm pretty sure the difference is the humidity is extremely high in the summer, which makes me wonder why our air conditioner isn't getting rid of the humidity.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-11, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Was it always like this?
The first thing to check or have checked is to make sure your system is in good repair and operating correctly.
Aside from not operating properly, an a/c that is too large will not dehumidify the air.

How long is your a/c running when your humidity in the house is high?
When you are at your highest seasonal temperatures the a/c unit should be running continuously.
If you find it cycling on and off you will not be dehumidifying.

Old 06-05-11, 04:15 PM
also what is the humidity in your home? Your body is your thermostat, if your not comfortable @ 72 then you need to lower the setpoint to make yourself comfortable. If you can not get comfortable then it may be that your system needs looked at.

Old 06-05-11, 07:02 PM
I'm kind of wondering if it's not the air that's the problem but maybe our windows. I wonder if the windows are letting too much radiant heat through. Tonight while it's 72 in the house it feels cool. But other nights I'm lying in bed I feel like I'm sweating.

By the way I can't compare the air too much to the past. This is the second summer we've been here.

Old 06-05-11, 07:10 PM
the system charge may be off which is not allowing for proper dehumidification. If the a/c has not been checked recently, it may bde a good idea to have it "tuned-up". IMO

Old 06-05-11, 07:41 PM
Do you know approximately how much it will cost to have someone come and check it out? I know the right thing would be to just have someone come look at it... but we're broke. I'm so scared that I'll call a tech out and they'll say, "system is fine... no problems found... here's your bill for $500." That's why I'm posting this first. If I'm going to expect the highest $100 for someone to come out and give it a tune up and top off the freon, then that I probably can handle. Much higher than that, then I don't know if I can afford to have someone come out just to tell me the system is working fine. I guess when it comes to stuff like this, I hate the unknowns. No tech will give you an estimate when you call... they need to look at it first and the house call isn't free. And I'd really hate to just pay a service call for someone to tell me what the problem is and have the repair be too expensive, so then I'm out $100 and not any further ahead.

Old 06-05-11, 08:13 PM
Our system is barely the right match for our house so when the charge was off you could definately tell. After a charge it made a world of difference.

Took a couple techs to find the leak but was the schrader valve in the high pressure side...hard to find with the cap on.

Without seeing your system it sounds like it may be low on charge. If I were in the blind like you to find a reputable tech, I would start poking around on some different forums and ask around.....high probability you will get someone that's honest.

I've been through a few and have had a few friends that have been through some and the stories we share are interesting. One friend was quoted $7K to replace the Gas furnace/AC unit because it "was aging and it's time to fail is approaching....been lucky it lasted this long"....yadda, yaddda.

Turned out it was a corroded spade terminal on the flame sensor.

Don't sweat a hundred bucks to fix it, chances are if it's low it will eat you up in elec bills to keep running and possibly damage the unit. Providing it's low and needs a pound of freon, you may be looking near $300 if it's old R-22, incl the service call... cheaper for the newer stuff. In the long run it's cheaper for you, believe me...i've been through it.

What is the temp of the air at the registers, close and far from the fan?

Have you ever cleaned your coils? Are the filters dirty?

Chances are you can get a referral from a HVAC tech who will come out and give it a look over, just ask around....there's alot of small HVAC companies that will give you an honest opinion for a small fee....maybe $30-50 for their time, that's very reasonable. Alot will give you estimates at little or no charge for a first-time visit.

Good luck.

Old 06-05-11, 08:14 PM
call around.... it depends on your area.... where I am, a tune up can run from $69 - $129.....and includes no refrigerant to 2 lbs of refrigerant...... just depends on the company, their policies, their prices..... The best thing for you to do is not base your decision of choosing a contractor based on price, but on references.....Call your neighbors, friends, family etc...see who they use and who has done a great job for them.....

Your system works and brings the temp down to the setpoint....so.....you should just get a tune-up which is basically a fine tune and adjust and cleaning... Your hvac system should be checked biannually 1 service cooling and 1 service heating every year