Mr. slim type a/c system is it hard to do.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-11, 03:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mr. slim type a/c system is it hard to do.

I got an estimate of almost 8,000 to install the mr. slim on the first floor of my cape. The installer wants to use two units but, I have an open floor plan. I've been talking to people about doing it myself and a couple have said it is easy to do with a 3" access hole for the unit. The units are also already charged they said i just need to run the lines and then open them. they all have said they had an electrician run the lines for power.

Has anyone done this? I was told a 15,000 btu unit can bb had for 1,400 and free shipping on a web site.
thanks
bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-11, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you can not do this as you have to be epa certified to handle refrigerant, they ship with refrigerant for up to 25 feet of lineset. YOu dont just open the lines after they are connected, they must be evacuated first. Regardless of that you still can not legally put the unit in yourself.

Old 06-05-11, 04:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
you can not do this as you have to be epa certified to handle refrigerant, they ship with refrigerant for up to 25 feet of lineset. YOu dont just open the lines after they are connected, they must be evacuated first. Regardless of that you still can not legally put the unit in yourself.
the mr. slim website says to keep warranty it must be checked out by hvac certified BEFORE starting up.
so not sure who's info isw correct.

Old 06-05-11, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
per the EPA
Technician Certification

EPA has established a technician certification program for persons ("technicians") who perform maintenance, service, repair, or disposal that could be reasonably expected to release refrigerants into the atmosphere. The definition of "technician" specifically includes and excludes certain activities as follows:
Included:
  • attaching and detaching hoses and gauges to and from the appliance to measure pressure within the appliance;
  • adding refrigerant to (for example "topping-off") or removing refrigerant from the appliance
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/...t.html#regreqs

Old 06-05-11, 05:21 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Pure and simple, ALL mini-splits, regardless of make or what the website may state, NEED to have the refrigerant connections made by an EPA certified person AND the refrigerant system MUST be leak tested with dry nitrogen and then brought to a vacuum BEFORE opening the refrigerant service valves.

It is a violation of USEPA law to work with R-410a (the refrigerant in most mini-splits) without certification.

Closed Thread