Help installing window ac into vertical window frame

Old 06-06-11, 09:39 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing window ac into vertical window frame

Hey guys I just moved into a bedroom and unfortunately neither the bedroom nor the house have air conditioning. I really want to install a cheap window air conditioner but it seems like there all made for windows with a horizontal slider.

I thought about getting a portable ac but the cheapest I've been able to find in the area is $250. It's a really small bedroom and I think a 5000 btu unit would work fine it's just the damn window that's making it such a chore.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-11, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
IF you find one the will fit in the slider then just block off the rest of the window opening with plywood or plexiglass. Make sure you support the A/C unit somehow.

Old 06-07-11, 01:08 PM
M
They used to sell A/C units for casement windows - not sure now.

Otherwise, two alternatives, either requiring carpentry: a.) cut and frame a hole in an outside wall, or b.)replace the existing window with a double-hung type.

Old 06-07-11, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not enough info here....one person thinks you have a casement, one a slider....I don't see either one in your post.

If your window opens up and down..thats what MOST window A/Cs are designed for. Most are NOT designed for horizontal sliders or casements..thats where it can be a pain.

Old 06-07-11, 02:19 PM
M
A photo and dimensions would help.

Google "casement/sliding air conditioners," and you may see some possibilities. Another approach is a mini-split A/C - no ductwork is required.

Old 06-07-11, 02:29 PM
D
I use cheap portable AC units in two bedrooms of my house, each with vertical, not horizontal sliders. Easy to find anywhere.

Old 06-07-11, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
window air conditioner but it seems like there all made for windows with a horizontal slider.
This is what tripped me up. Now that I reread it SLOOOOOLY I think the OP was saying they are for double hung windows. I wait until they post back.

Old 06-07-11, 10:19 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I have a feeling that wezman2k is a one-post wonder but I'm willing to give hem/her another couple of days to respond with more information.

The post DOES show the problems when a poster (or respondent) ignores the rules of proper spelling and word usage.

I really want to install a cheap window air conditioner but it seems like there all made for windows with a horizontal slider. (Emphasis by Furd)
Using the word there instead of they're (they are) puts a totally different meaning on the sentence, a meaning that is meaningless.