AC leaking water into basement

Old 06-08-11, 10:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC leaking water into basement

Hello folks,

I just bought my first house this year in March. It's been scorching hot for the past few days so I turned on my AC yesterday. Tonight I saw a big pool of water right underneath the furnace.

I am ultra new to this kind of stuff so I thought may be I could seek some help from people who have been in my shoes and have dealt with a similar situation. I just sorta freaked out ...so I am starting up this thread like an hour after I saw the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

I have posted a picture of the structure of my furnace below just so that you folks have an idea of how everything looks.

I think the leakage is from that big cabinet kind of structure right above the furnace (and not the cylindrical pipe..the rectangular metal box kind of thing). In one of the pics you will see a kind of a rubber pipe that goes into that cabinet structure ( from the ac condenser outside the house i believe) and then another pipe which comes out of this cabinet and kind of goes to the wall along with the humidifer pipe...Any help would be extremely appreciated !!!

link if u can't see the pic below - furnace - MyPicx.com
Gary

Old 06-09-11, 03:54 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
drain may be plugged, drain pan may be rusted through, or coil may be freezing and then thawing....More checking on your part will have to be done

Old 06-09-11, 05:07 PM
R
Pardon my ignorance..but what exactly is the drain pan ? where would it be located ?

Old 06-09-11, 05:31 PM
D
The drain pan would be directly under the AC unit. Most times the pan is built inside the unit and a side cover of some sort will need to be removed to look inside. With my unit it also has a small drain pipe that leads out to a drain or directly outside. With the high temps/high humidity over the last couple of days more water will be present. Low freon and clogged air filter will also cause more water, even icing on the cooling unit (Where the coils and fins are)Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: