What leaked out of AC?

Old 06-12-11, 01:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What leaked out of AC?

I was in a hotel that had Air Condtioning. The AC model was Unico Olimpia Spendid.
I turned it on full speed with lowest possible temperature. I also had my window open. I dont often use AC so i didnt know that you should close your window when using the AC.

After it had been running for about 30minutes it broke down somehow. There was a little a little hose/tube
under the AC machine but it didnt have anykind of cap/lid on it. It didnt connect anywhere (not the wall like the photo might show) so some kind of liquid (water???) started dripping out of it.

MY CONCERN IS:
The ac was located right above my bed and the liquid was dripping on my head for a moment (i didnt realise it instantly). WHAT IS THIS LIQUID? Is it just water or somekind of refridgerant? Im really afraid it was something really toxic.

Should i be worried/ go see a doctor?

THANKS!

Last edited by ac123; 06-12-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 01:31 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
That should be just condensation water. but it should drain the water outside, not in your room.

Old 06-12-11, 01:36 PM
A
Yes that might be it. The hose was not going anywhere it just came 4 inches out of the machine. The next room i got after that had the same machine. It had a screw inside the hose so that the water cant run out...

Does anyone know for sure?

Old 06-12-11, 02:07 PM
A
The manufacturers website says this:
Condensate discharge
In addition to cooling, air conditioners remove the moisture (i.e. water) present in the air. In this regard, it is important to notice the differences that exist for the different types of systems:

FIXED SPLIT UNITS (MONOSPLIT AND MULTISPLIT)
In cooling mode condensate is drained out through a pipe, by gravity. Condensate is conveyed outside (e.g.: into a tank down a drain, etc.)

Normally no pumps are installed on portable splits because this would increase the noise level, unless an extreme case occurs where it is not possible to provide the minimum slope needed to ensure draining by gravity.

In heat pump mode (heating) there is no moisture to be removed from the air in the room, but you still have water that needs to be eliminated. In this mode, ice will form on the outdoor exchanger, which will need to be defrosted (this process is managed by the electronic card); the water produced with defrosting must be drained out, usually through a drain pipe.

SELF-CONTAINED UNITS (UNICO)
In cooling mode, condensate is removed by atomization, from the exhaust pipe. In heat pump mode (heating) the system needs a condensate drain like the one used for fixed split systems in cooling mode.

PORTABLE SELF-CONTAINED UNITS (SINGLE AND DOUBLE DUCT)
Condensate removal in a self-contained air conditioner can be achieved in one of two ways, depending on the technology used.
1. 1) portable unit fitted with tank. A float switches off the conditioner when the tank is full to prevent flooding.
2. 2) condensate is removed by atomization , directly from the rear pipe; air conditioners designed with this technology never switch off automatically.

ALL OLIMPIA SPLENDID PORTABLES FEATURE AUTOMATIC CONDENSATE REMOVAL

PORTABLE SPLIT UNITS
Condensate is removed by atomization , directly from the outdoor unit. A pump is used to transfer the water from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit through the sheath. In the outdoor unit, it is collected in a pan and then expelled as micro-droplets by the fan.
So it seems like it was just condensation water (which is not toxic, RIGHT??). And that they hadnt installed the tube to go from the machine to outside or a drain. Instead they had just left it there.
So nothing to worry right?

SORRY MY BAD ENGLISH.

Old 06-12-11, 06:03 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
nothing to worry about!..............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: