A/C turns off for no apparent reason

Old 06-13-11, 06:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C turns off for no apparent reason

I have a heat pump A/C unit. It will run fine for a day or two, then just stop working. I switched from the old mercury t-stat to an electronic one, didn't fix it. Two technicians from two different companies can't fix it. The thing is, when it stops working, all you have to do to start it again is switch it from cool to off and switch the fan from auto to on. In about 30 seconds, the fan will start blowing. Then immediately switch from off to cool and the fan from on to auto and it starts blowing cold air and will work fine for another day or two.

Old 06-13-11, 07:06 PM
E
sounds like a relay or a circuit board problem. Intermittent, probably will do it sooner and sooner as time goes on. You could probably leave the fan in the on position without switching it back to auto

Old 06-14-11, 06:06 AM
J
I don't guess anyone knows how to isolate which relay it is without just changing them? Do you think it's most likely in the inside unit or the outside unit? Yesterday, I got home and it had stopped. I didn't mess with the fan switch this time. I just turned the switch from cool to off and back to cool. In about 30 seconds, it started running again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: