Frigidaire A/C compressor shut off when hot outside

Old 06-14-11, 10:35 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire A/C compressor shut off when hot outside

I have a few years old Frigidaire window air conditioner that I spent nearly 4 hundred on. It works well except when it's hot outside An A/C tech explained to me that the unit is designed so that the compressor shuts down when the compressor gets hot which generally happens when it is in the upper 80's or 90's outside (which, IMHO is exactly when an A/C should be working !! -- Am I alone on this?)

So I'm wondering if there is a way I can disable this auto shut-off of the compressor AND if it is safe to do so (don't want to start any elec fires)?

If it's possible and OK, I'll need some clear directions on how to accomplish this (I'm no techno or engineer). The model is FAC125P1A.

Old 06-14-11, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
there is no way to disable, if it is running that hot then it is probably low on charge. Good luck finding someone to work on it. The internal overload is what is opening if it is what the other tech was talking about and this overload is internal of the compressor. No way to access.

Old 08-26-11, 01:44 PM
R
I have a Frigidaire FAS184N2A which is doing the same thing. That is the compressor overload is tripping out. (It is actually doing its job.) From the previous post, hvactechfw said the charge is probably low. Any idea how much it should cost to get it recharged ?

Old 08-26-11, 01:52 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by repman55
That is the compressor overload is tripping out. (It is actually doing its job.) From the previous post, hvactechfw said the charge is probably low. Any idea how much it should cost to get it recharged?
It's not just getting it recharged - the system is leaking, and the leak has to be found and repaired. A refreigerant leak is the one and only way for the charge to be low. Don't just have somebody recharge it.

Old 08-26-11, 02:07 PM
R
Yeah that makes sence. I've called a few local companies and they told me they don't work on window units, its cheaper to just buy a new one.

Old 08-26-11, 05:21 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Probably correct, unless it's a larger, newer model.

Old 08-29-11, 08:32 AM
R
It's in the neighborhood of 24,000 btu. I've priced replacements at $400-500

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: