Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Replaced Starter Capacitor, compressor and fan run now, but a/c does not cool

Replaced Starter Capacitor, compressor and fan run now, but a/c does not cool

Old 06-15-11, 10:39 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced Starter Capacitor, compressor and fan run now, but a/c does not cool

After got back from 2 weeks vacation (left my 3yrs old Carrier A/C off-) turned on the a/c on and it took about 12 hrs to bring temp from 84 to 72 F. Then after 2 days working fine, at one of the starts, a huge rumbling noise from the compressor made me switch it off. Waited 5min. turned the Thermostat back on, the compressor never came back on again. The Fan outside and blower in the attic did.
Replaced the the Dual Capacitor 45/5 UF 370VAC; the only one I could find quickly in a retail store was a 440VAC (did not think it would matter to have a higher V, does it?). Anyway, installed it and the compressor did not start initially but in a few minutes it did; bot the fan and compressor were now working but temp in the thermostat did not move but 1 degree only. It was not cooling...it still isn't. This thread is my last resource before I call a pro and spend all that money.
Could it be the compressor?
or the filter?
or the thermostat?
what quick tests can I perform before I decide to call a tech.?
thanks
Oscare66

Old 06-16-11, 04:44 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
440V will work fine .....

possible faults are Compressor, or filter, or blocked air flow or plugged evap coil in attic.

Check the simple things, but with the compressor not starting right away it doesn't sound good.

Old 06-16-11, 06:16 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you could check the large copper line going to the outdoor condenser, if its cold then the compressor is running. Sometimes the compressor will actually run backwards and sometimes the compressor will lock itself up. A hard start or ez booster installed may fix a locked up compressor and help it start easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: