Air Handler, Condenser & Compressor all run, but does not cool - Rheem

Old 06-16-11, 09:02 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Handler, Condenser & Compressor all run, but does not cool - Rheem

I have an old Rheem unit, that was manufactured in 94. I know i'll have to replace it soon, but the timing isn't the best and want to get another year or two out of it if i can.

The problem is that it does not cool. The compressor kicks on, but gets warm after about 10 or 15 minutes and the lines do not get cold at all. Everything else seems to work fine - air handler, condenser fan...

I don't think it's low on refrigerant because: 1: I had a biannual check up less than 6 months ago & the service tech did not mention low coolant
& 2: the unit was working perfectly fine, then I cut off the breakers to replace a few outlets inside & when I turned it back on, it just will not cool at all.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm curious if there are electrical components that may regulate the flow of coolant?
Also, I tried to press the high pressure reset switch, but it will not depress. I'm not sure if this means it's bad, or if it simply means that the switch is already depressed?

Old 06-16-11, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
so, does the outdoor fan and compressor run or just the fan? good chance you need a capacitor if only the fan runs and not the compressor.

the only electrical component that has anything to do with refrigerant flow is the compressor.

Old 06-16-11, 09:47 PM
O

both the fan and the compressor run...so if the compressor is going bad, is it possible for the compressor to run, but not cool? or does this imply that I should check elsewhere first?

oh, and i'm in florida so the ambient temp is in the high 80s

Old 06-17-11, 04:39 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
first check your filter, and then if you are certain both fan and compressor are running you will need to call a pro because it is most likely low on charge regardless if it was checked 6 months ago.

Old 06-18-11, 01:55 PM
R
sounds like your low on charge

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: