Need A/C advice so I don't get overcharged again

Old 06-19-11, 07:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need A/C advice so I don't get overcharged again

I need some advice. My central a/c quit working last Wed. (105 degrees that day) and the repair guy said I needed a new dual capacitor. He replaced it - $303.72 and I think I was overcharged - and after replacing it it was working fine.

Well, today, 4 days later it's not working again. I went outside with the thermostat on cool and the a/c outside was not running. I turned off the breaker to see if that would help and when he turned it back on sparks came from the wiring on the inside of the a/c unit and then burning smell/smoke. Freaked out, I tuned off the breaker again for good.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I wanted to have an idea before I got gouged again from the repair man tomorrow. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something he did with the capacitor so I wouldn't get charged for something he didn't do right. My a/c is a Goodman and it's 11 years old.

Thanks,

Old 06-19-11, 07:44 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
good chance a wire has burnt off that was attached to the capacitor. Post a picture of the inside of the electrical compartment on the a/c. Often these wires burn up due to bad connections which unfortunately is commonly caused by techs not paying attention to the connectors when putting them on the new capacitor or the old capacitor that they were checking.

Old 06-19-11, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 30 Posts
You were overcharged BIG TIME. A new dual capacitor shouldn't be over $40, tops + the charge for a service call. There are any number of causes for sparks & smoke. Something, be it the capacitor, compressor, fan motor, or something else burned out. What that something was & the cause, without being there is next to impossible to tell.

I suggest you call that service company back, speak to the service manager, & tell him/her what's going on. Judging by the price you paid, I wonder if they offer a warranty on their repairs.
If they give you the run around, look for another servicer.

Old 06-19-11, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You were overcharged BIG TIME.
Grady, I don't think you can say that. We don't know if that includes the service call or if it was a "repair" price (parts, labor, warranty). We also don't know what the market is like the OP's area.

I suggest you call that service company back, speak to the service manager, & tell him/her what's going on.
Agreed...... Most companies (good ones) wont give you a run around and especially if it is something they screwed up (wouldn't know this without being there). Like I said earlier, Most likely the problem was caused by a bad connection.

Old 06-19-11, 08:14 PM
M
Thanks for the replies. The invoice states $202.05 for dual capacitor, $85 for labor, and $16.67 for tax = $303.72 I understand companies have to make money and they need to mark up parts but $202 seemed excessive. The invoice states 2 year warranty on labor and the part warranty is by the manufacturer.

Old 06-19-11, 08:18 PM
The warranty they put on the repair is where some of the repair cost came from. Regardless....the system doesn't work, call them back and see what they say.

This forum is about repairs, not prices so really lets stay away from that subject, Prices vary by location and company we have no control over that here. If you would like help to figure out what happened or how to fix it then this is the place for that discussion.

Old 06-20-11, 03:19 PM
M
Update: The company that replaced the capacitor last week fixed my a/c again. The thermo -something? - it's wired to the capacitor - was melted and he replaced it with a new starter kit. I asked him if it was going to cost a lot b/c my brother-in-law who lives 3 hours away offered to fix it. He actually didn't charge me for the part or labor. I don't know if he was being really nice or if it was related to the capacitor. When he got to my house, he did ask for the invoice from last week and I had written on the paper that the $200 capacitor was actually $50 at the store so I don't know if he saw that or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: