Outside ac compressor does not always start up after first start

Old 06-23-11, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outside ac compressor does not always start up after first start

Hello, Hoping someone can solve this issue for me or point me in the right direction.

When I first turn on the AC at the thermostat by moving the switch to cool at lowering the temp below room temp the AC kicks on and the fan, unit, compressor all work and cool the home down to whatever temp.

ISSUE - Then when the system auto kicks back on later to maintain the temp the AC unit in the addict and the fan on the unit outside kicks on, but not the compressor itself, causing warm air to be blown.

I have noticed that this occurs more often on a hot day and not so much when it is cooler.

FUNKY FIX - I have discovered that when the above issues occurs if I then turn the switch from cool back to off, wait for the system to shut off, then turn the switch back to cool to start the AC again the compressor kicks on again.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 02:45 PM
could be a weak capacitor, or your compressor is about to go out in which case a hard start will help prolong that from happening but is only a band aid, or your compressor is full liquid and cant pump it in which case you would need a delay on break timer or a stat that has a built in short cycle timer.

Old 06-23-11, 03:32 PM
Do you know why just turning the ac off at the thermostat and the turning it back on would make the compressor work again? Just want to make sure it is not the thermostat or something else that would be causing the issue. PS - The capacitor was recently changed.

Old 06-24-11, 04:33 AM
if it were the stat then the outdoor fan would also not come on. Just because the capacitor was recently replaced doesn;t mean that it is a bad part.