Split AC compressor keeps running for a while after AC is switched off?

Old 06-24-11, 08:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Split AC compressor keeps running for a while after AC is switched off?

Hello,

My home split AC compressor continue working a while after it switching the AC OFF from the Remote Control, or after the thermostat switches off. During this time, it makes sound like it is compressing so much gas that is not being released and it stops suddenly and the whole outside unit shakes.

First I thought it is the contactor, but contactor coil seems fine, its resistance is fine, and it switches ON/ OFF. But I found out that the contactor coil gets the 14V signal after a while, and at this point it opens the circuit so the compressor turns off.

Is it the thermostat circuit? could it be a small capacitor or so? especially that I found out that the longer the AC stays ON, the longer the compressor keeps working after turning the AC off.

Regards,
Ahmed

Old 06-25-11, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
good chance it is the stat by your explanation.

Old 06-25-11, 08:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
do this test...shut the disconnect outside fro the condenser...then go in a call for cooling set down the temps for now...go out side remove the control panel and at the contactor remove the just (1) 24volt side of the contactor it should open up. touch it back to the bare terminal and it should close do this again and again closed/wire on...open/wire off.nothing will run with the disconnect off.the 24Vs comes from the air handler not the condenser.what you want to see if it stays in when you pull that 24V wire tell use if it opens as soon as you remove the wire....i have an idea what the runmbling is but lets just do this first No Beer 4U

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: