Condensate pools by design??

Old 06-26-11, 02:27 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Condensate pools by design??

Bought a little (5000 BTU, if I recall) window unit a couple weeks ago, runs fine, but at times, during long compressor ON cycles, and mostly in the morning when it's humid outside, the condensate will pool to about 3/8" at which time I can hear a swishing sound, as the condenser fan blades start to touch the water. I noticed there are no drain holes where one would expect them at the back corners, tho there is one 1/2" hole about 1/2" above the floor of the cabinet. Is this by design, to maintain a pool of water so the fan can sling the water into the coils to increase the efficiency by evaporative cooling on the coils? If not, I can drill some drain holes, as I wonder about constantly pooled water rusting the cabinet.

Old 06-26-11, 02:35 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes, it is by design and for just the reason you stated.

Old 06-26-11, 03:03 PM
R
L I B, whut'll they think of next....

Old 06-26-11, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yeah..odd isn't it? Since the questions that pop up by folks trying to increase the cooling efficiency of whole house units by using a mister or redirecting condensate always get the same responses of "Don't do it!".

Old 06-26-11, 05:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Remember that by and large window units are cheaply made to sell for a low price. They don't come close to the "efficiency" or longevity of central units.

Old 06-28-11, 08:54 PM
R
Gunguy, are you saying that a "mister" for an older central air condenser does nothing, or that the initial & ongoing expense does not give a good enough return on investment to warrant the installation? In my case, my main problem is a Lennox unit in which the evaporator coil has not been cleaned since 1985, (having been told that on this design it is not cost effective, labor-wise...)and when I bought the house in 1999, there was NO filter in place...who knows for how long. So, with only a slight zepher of a breeze coming out of the furthest register, despite a clean squirrel cage and monthly filter replacements, I'm thinking that even with a yearly cleaning of the condenser coils, the condenser is doing it's thing, it's the evaporator that may not be completing the cycle due to low air volume. possible?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: