Tempstar Smart Comfort 2000, Model# TCA030AKA1 stopped working.

Old 06-28-11, 12:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tempstar Smart Comfort 2000, Model# TCA030AKA1 stopped working.

Hello, I have a Tempstar Smart Comfort 2000, Model # TCA030AKA1

I turned it on for the first time this season last Friday. Everything seemed fine at that point as cool air was flowing out of the vents. Afew hours later, I noticed the air was no longer cool, and I could hear a bubbling/gurgling sound coming from the vents.

I grabbed a flashlight and went out to check the AC unit and found that the fan was not moving. There was a humming sound and the unit was very hot. I went back inside and turned it off.

The next morning I went out and pull the top grate off and checked if the fan blades would turn. Although they would not freely turn, they would turn if I spun them with a finger.

I pulled the corner panel off to check for anything that looked burnt, and I found nothing, but I really don't know what I should be looking for.

Now I do not even get any humming sound from the unit. The breaker has not been tripped.

Any ideas?

Old 06-28-11, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
there may be fuses in the disconnect box. OR the compressor internal overload has tripped and is not resetting on its own. Sounds like you need to replace the fan motor and capacitor and check for some voltages before you get too much into it. Check for high voltage to contactor and also low voltage to contactor.

Old 07-02-11, 06:49 AM
Received 100 Votes on 90 Posts
I grabbed a flashlight and went out to check the AC unit and found that the fan was not moving. There was a humming sound and the unit was very hot. I went back inside and turned it off.
Are you saying the compressor was running, but the condenser fan was not running? What about the unit was very hot? Just curious because I think your unit is almost identical to mine. Wondering if I should be watching for my condenser fan to be near it's end of life.

Old 07-02-11, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suzy2 View Post
Hello, I have a Tempstar Smart Comfort 2000, Model # TCA030AKA1

I turned it on for the first time this season last Friday. Everything seemed fine at that point as cool air was flowing out of the vents. Afew hours later, I noticed the air was no longer cool, and I could hear a bubbling/gurgling sound coming from the vents.

The next morning I went out and pull the top grate off and checked if the fan blades would turn. Although they would not freely turn, they would turn if I spun them with a finger.

I pulled the corner panel off to check for anything that looked burnt, and I found nothing, but I really don't know what I should be looking for.

Now I do not even get any humming sound from the unit. The breaker has not been tripped. Any ideas?
A 2.5-Ton condenser.

The fan motor capacitor could be bad, however, it sounds like if the fan blades turned hard with the power off, the fan motor will probably need to be replaced.

Never run the unit with the condenser fan not working properly!

If it doesn't have one, it should have a high pressure switch installed with a manual reset.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: