Question about the starter of split-type air-conditioner

Old 06-29-11, 06:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about the starter of split-type air-conditioner

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the seemingly silly post, but I have this little question bugging me a bit: I have a 6 years old LG model air-conditioner, and to turn it on, in the remote, sometimes the (over-sensitive) button turn it on then off (two consecutive 'beeps' emitted from the indoor unit). It's an occasional "oops", but the question is: does this causes any harm to the compressor (to begin startup but being interrupted a split-second after) or more likely, the electronic controller/starter circuit?

I guess it's time to start looking for another compatible remote (it's only US$ 29.99 apparently) but anyway, thanks in advance for any answers!

Doug.

Old 06-29-11, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
the answer is no its not hurting it... the internal control board has a delay timer that activates if the compressor has started and then stopped to keep the compressor from short cycling. Besides if it is two consecutive beeps its doubtful the compressor started right away anyway.

Old 06-30-11, 03:56 AM
D
Good to hear this, hvactechfw. In fact, I noticed that after turning it on, it takes some time to start doing anything, so, I guess this is the protection delay against power cycling. Today there was a short moment of energy down - very short, one or two seconds, but enough to turn off the computer that was in a surge protector - the AC wasn't in any surge protector but it is still working fine, I think the power cycling protection is doing its job.

By the way, the AC model here looks to be the LG LS-L1210HL (no model number written on case and the manuals are probably long gone, but by looking at pics on internet I could assume that this is the model or a variant of it).

Edit: Lastly, is it correct to say that parts of the circuit are always on while the powercord is plugged to the wall?

Last edited by DougK; 06-30-11 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 05:20 AM
that would be correct, if its plugged in things in the unit are on.

Old 07-01-11, 08:47 AM
D
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
that would be correct, if its plugged in things in the unit are on.
So, can I assume that the only really harmful power cycling would be by pulling the powercord out of the outlet and then pushing it in again quickly?

Old 07-01-11, 05:39 PM
yes, what you have said would be correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: