AC blower won't turn off!??

Old 06-29-11, 08:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC blower won't turn off!??

Hello,

I recently purchased a house and there is a little problem with the AC. The AC cools just fine, but the blower won't turn off. You have to unplug the unit from the wall plug inside the AC closet to turn it off. I had an AC tech come by the house the other day and he suggested I change the thermostat...which I did today and there is no difference. On the old thermostat, whether the unit is on off or not, the blower will run. On the off position, only the fan will work, but when you switch it to cool, the compressor outside will turn on, so I guess something is working properly. When I changed the thermostat, there were only 4 wires (red, white, green, and yellow). I'm thinking that at some point in history someone messed with the wiring to bypass something for some reason, but before I begin to poke around in there I wanted to see if any one had any experience with an issue like this before. The unit was installed in 1985 (pretty old) but it runs pretty good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all!

Old 06-30-11, 08:47 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The blower is controlled by a relay or control board (a device in the air handler, should be right next to the blower). I don't know what you have, since the unit is so old.

Old 06-30-11, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
remove Green from the stat and see if that shuts the blower off, if not look for one of these in the furnace. Ensure the white knob is pulled out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: