Small Furnace Closet - Advice

Old 06-29-11, 11:29 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small Furnace Closet - Advice

Hello.. not in relation to another previous post I made today, I am looking to replace my ac system with a new one. Old one had a ton of $$$ poured into it already for a 16-yr old system in florida ... electric unit with heat pump.

While the quotes seem outrageous, only 2 out of the 5 companies that came out even provided a quote. One provided a unit too big for the interior closet, and wont return my call as to why he quoted somethign that is too big to fit my closet, nor even suggest a different one.

Small 1,000 sft house, but furnace closet is inside and is small. Currently it has an old trane unit that fits well, but from what I found out by one of the five that actually measured my closet is that it has a depth from back wall to inner front door of closet = 21". Back wall is just sheetrock, not a void in between... so i have 21" to work with as front wall cannot be roughed out. Im told the only units that will fit are Goodman. Mainly because most are around 19" at the smallest and lines run out of the front so that adds another 4" making it 23" total.

Have not heard good things about goodman, but these are the models for furnaces I have been given:
AWUF3030 (GOODMAN)
AWUF310516A (GOODMAN) TXV
AWUF051624 (GOODMAN)

Each are all aluminum coils (what is drawback for this?).

All in all I cannot move the unit to the garage for other reasons, and need a unit to fit here... any advice or know any others that are quality brand that would fit?
Width and height are not an issue, just depth.

Thanks,
KDC23

Old 06-30-11, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can you put it in the attic?!

Old 06-30-11, 08:57 PM
K
I dont believe so. And with split vaulted ceiling and a pretty tight area up there I dont think it would work well. I dont know the codes but I vaguely remember one vendor stating that I wouldnt be able too due to code... forget exactly what that was... still in shock over the cost for such a small house..

Old 06-30-11, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
cost is what it is........ more important than brand is dealer installation quality and service after the fact.

Old 06-30-11, 09:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
hvactechfw:
Can you put it in the attic?
kdc23:
I dont believe so. And with split vaulted ceiling and a pretty tight area up there I dont think it would work well.
Here attics are seldom more then 4 feet high and it is where they are almost always put. A horizontal air handler is usually only around two feet high. Not a HVAC person though.

Old 07-03-11, 07:44 PM
K
Thanks .... I will have to do more research on the attic then, will let you know what I find.

As for the brand/install/cost... I have read that about the installs where how it is done is more important than the brand... just never know if you get a good installer.
As for the cost, ranges from low to high with a difference of $2,000... thats the difference... not even the quote amount.

Is an all aluminum coil a bad thing? Lesser quality/cooling or lifetime than others?

Also the goodman I was told will be louder than the old trane I have ... not exactly good to hear since its right outside my 1yr old's bedroom...

Well... I guess its the lesser of the evils. Appreciate your help... will keep you up to date on the attic and what we move forward with ...

Thanks,
KDC23

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: