Drain pan rusted through

Old 06-30-11, 01:34 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Drain pan rusted through

Hi,

I bought my first house near Minneapolis, MN less than a month ago. As the temps rose, we turned on our Central A/C (it's a Carrier). Had water on the floor. Called someone, turns out the drain pan is rusted and leaking into the furnace and onto the floor. It was even getting into where the electrical components for the furnace are.

The tech said that I would have to get a whole new A/C system because mine is from 1989 and they wouldn't just replace the drain pan/A coil. But the unit works just fine other than the water leaking.

Is he lying to me and just trying to get me to spend more money? Or will I really have to replace the whole thing?? Is it possible to replace/repair just the drain pan? or the whole A coil unit thing?

Sorry, I really don't know anything about all of this. Any advice would be wonderful and very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 06-30-11, 07:14 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Drain pan can be replaced But your unit is very old moving the coil could cause other issues. It would be best to replace an old unit like that.

Old 06-30-11, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Did you get any sort of home warranty (normally 1 yr) when you purchased? That would be the 1st thing I'd investigate.

Old 06-30-11, 08:43 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Call another tech, get a second opinion. WHat he mean the ' whole new system' ?

Old 06-30-11, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Replacing just the a-coil would be a waste of money in my opinion. Doubtful the pan by itself is still available, but maybe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: