Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

A/C motor sounds like it's running at times, but no air pushing through vents?

Old 07-01-11, 08:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

OK, I hope I can describe this well enough; my a/c runs great, but from time to time I'll hear the motor (or something up there, it's a roof mount) running long after the air has stopped blowing. I cannot stop it any other way than to flip the breaker off, wait a minute or two, then turn it back on and it stops. This unit was just serviced and I forgot to tell the guy about it, was actually thinking the service would stop it.

Could this be a contactor sticking and causing the motor to continuously run or ?? Any advice is appreciated, I'm not a mechanical guy and would hate to pay the a/c guy to come out again for something simple.

Old 07-01-11, 08:52 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
You need to go up there with a multi-meter and check to see (the contactor) why the power is not cut off.

Old 07-20-11, 08:00 AM
I'm not very mechanically inclined...would the contactor be right up inside the panel, and if it reads proper voltage, what is my next step? Not able to pay a HVAC guy at this time, and would love to be able to resolve this myself. I do have a multimeter and know how to use it, but beyond that, wouldn't know much about swapping out a contactor!

Any other ideas if the contactor is ok? I've heard they "stick" at times, how would I check/resolve that??

Old 07-20-11, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is your roof-mount AC unit an all-in-one package unit with the evaporator coil and blower in the same housing as the condensing unit, or do you have a roof mounted condensing unit and a separate air handler mounted in your attic or closet?

Old 07-20-11, 08:30 AM
Alll in one on roof, nothing in the closet or attic

Old 07-20-11, 10:10 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
The contacter is in the condenser unit, open the panel, you will see a switch like unit with wires go in and go out. on top of the contactor, there should be a button which can be pushed in or pops up, when your T-stat call to stop, there should be no power send to contactor from the small 24V wires, therefore, the button should pop up to cut the power to fan and compressor. So what you need to check is make sure when T-stst call for stop, it does cut the power to the contactor, if it does, the button should be up, if not, then try to tap(use a wooden stick) the button and see if it pops up. Be careful, there are 240V at the contactor. make sure you use insulated tools.

Last edited by clocert; 07-20-11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: