outside hvac stoppe - condenser fan wont turn on... read on...

Old 07-02-11, 07:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outside hvac stoppe - condenser fan wont turn on... read on...

So earlier I heard some noises coming from my Goodman PGB030075-1 Rav. A unit that didnt sound good (off kilter fan sound).

Later I noticed the air in the house was warm and temp rising slowly.

Checking the outside unit, the condenser fan wasnt running.

Reset breaker, turned off and on, etc.. The blower fan runs.

I went out and manually turned the blade with a screwdriver and it worked itself up to keep running. Although its not running very well. The motor itself is hot (was VERY hot when I was checking it out)

Its been running about 1 hour now and the condenser fan is still spinning around but the air in the house isnt really getting any cooler. It seems like it might be a little, but the temp outside is dropping slowly also.

Anyway. I was thinking what do you think is going on? Shouldnt I get cold air if the condenser fan is now running? If I can get the fan to spin pretty good (not full force by any means) then shouldnt I get some cold air in the house?
Do you think I could replace just the fan motor and blades? Or is there some damage done to the compressor or something else at this point and throwing money at a couple parts like that PLUS getting to the point to call an HVAC guy anyway doesnt make sense? The motor and blade on hvacparts.com is like a $250

Need some advice on do I just call someone, or what?

Old 07-03-11, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
If the did not start running on it's own and you had to hand prop it to get it going it is possible that you have a bad fan motor or bad capacitor. With the power turned off to the unit and you turn the fan with your screwdriver how does it feel? With a flick does the fan continue free spinning or does it feel tight or gritty? If it is hard to turn it's probably time for a new motor & capacitor (I always replace the capacitor with a new motor since they are pretty inexpensive.). If the fan spins freely then it could just need a new capacitor (about $10).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: