Goodman CKL36-1K A/C Unit not turning on

Old 07-05-11, 09:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman CKL36-1K A/C Unit not turning on

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, and I was wondering if I might be able to get some professional opinions as to what's going on with my A/C unit.

I've got a Goodman CKL36-1K unit. When the thermostat is set to 'cool', the thermostat clicks, and the contactor on the unit outside engages, causing a slight humming sound from the unit...not the condenser unit humming, just the sound of power being supplied to the unit. The fan does not spin when the unit is turned on, and the compressor doesn't kick on, however the lid to the unit where the fan is mounted becomes VERY hot to the touch. I disconnected the power to the unit via the breaker, and pulled the lid off of the unit to see if the motor would turn, which it does, freely. The unit is 7 years old, and was working fine until all of a sudden it just didn't turn on one day. We have two of the same units, one for each zone in the house, and had to have a tech replace the condenser fan motor on the other last year for $700, so I'm trying to do this repair myself. I'm very handy, and have most tools required to diagnose electrical issues, but no coolant pressure testers, or any HVAC specific tools.

I've been told that it could ether be the motor or the capacitor, or both. I'd like to know if anyone might be able to shed some more light on this for me so that I don't go throwing money at this.

Thank you all in advance for your time and effort!

Sincerely,

-Brian

Old 07-06-11, 05:14 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
most likely you have a swelled or exploded dual run capacitor. Open the electrical compartment and find the capacitor.

Old 07-06-11, 07:29 AM
T
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've pulled the pannel, and the cap isn't swolen at all. Everything. Loooks really good, actually. Still most likely the cap?

Old 07-06-11, 04:08 PM
check for 240V on both sides of the contactor with the contactor pulled in via the stat calling for cooling.

Old 07-06-11, 09:14 PM
T
OK. I will check that right now, but I wanted to provide an update.

I switched the thermostat to cool, and went downstairs to see if I could start the fan manually. I was able to get the fan going with a screwdriver, and then the motor took over. So that leads me to believe that the motor has a dead spot, and will need to be replaced. OK, now that the fan is running, I was waiting to see if the compressor would kick on, but it does not. Ever few minutes, I can hear it try to come on, but it never actually kicks on. Any thoughts as to why the compressor is having trouble coming on?

Old 07-06-11, 09:27 PM
T
Alright, tested the actuated contactor, and I'm getting 240v in and 240v out.

Old 07-07-11, 04:40 AM
sounds like capacitor..................

Old 07-07-11, 08:26 AM
T
Thats what I figured based upon what I've read. I was able to pick up a motor and capacitor on Amazon for $120 shipped!!! Not bad considering that my wife paid to have the motor on our other unit installed for $700 last summer while I was deployed.

Thank you very much for all of your help! I'll let you know what happens after I replace the parts.

Old 07-07-11, 03:12 PM
A
If your fan is coming on but the compressor hums, it sounds like the compressor is locked up. Sometimes this can be remedied by installing a hard start kit. This is installed directly on the compressor lugs. If you want to try this, the kit can be purchased at a heating/a/c parts house. Be SURE to disconnect your 240v power first.

Old 07-07-11, 03:18 PM
T
The fan is bad too. The compressor only hums for a second as if trying to start, but it never actually kicks over. It will hum for a second every couple of minutes, but still doesn't turn over. If the system didn't require a start kit before, why would it require one now?

Old 07-07-11, 04:04 PM
A
As to why? Who knows. May be like me, getting old and tired. Was just a suggestion. Have used the hard starts in the past for problems like this. Some times they work, sometimes...... For the few bucks the kit costs, may be worth a try. That's why they sell these kits.

Old 07-07-11, 04:11 PM
T
Ok. Sounds like a plan if the motor and capacitor don't work. I know for a fact now that the motor is bad, and it came with the capacitor anyway. We shall see. Thank you for your advice. Ill post again once I replace the parts to let everyone know the outcome.

Old 07-07-11, 04:43 PM
the question is what capacitor it came with, rt now your system probably uses a dual run capacitor for both the compressor and fan. If it comes with a single run for only the fan then you will need one for the compressor as well.

Old 07-07-11, 04:53 PM
T
It says that it comes with a 5 MFD 370, which is what the make and model unit calls for, but we'll see what it is when it gets here. I looked up the specs and it should be good to go ( fingers crossed).

Old 07-07-11, 04:55 PM
that is for the fan only which is what the fan requirement would be. If it were dual run it would be something like 35/5 mfd. Find the old capacitor and post what it says on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: