Insulation on cold side line inside condensor

Old 07-07-11, 07:25 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation on cold side line inside condensor

I recently had an energy efficiency audit done on my house, and the auditor recommended that I replace the insulation on the piping that leads from the condenser to my house. The insulation is getting frayed and probably got chewed up a bit by a weed eater. While inspecting it to today, I noticed something. Running from the compressor inside the condenser to the gauge-tap, which sits just outside the sheet metal housing of the condenser, is the same line. This line is not insulated. However, after the gauge-tap, there is insulation (albeit insulation in dire need of replacement). Do I need to open up the condenser and wrap this line in insulation?

I worry because our electric bill is pretty gnarly in the summer, and we're dealing with some extraordinarily high temperatures. Our master bedroom is always too warm (most likely due to the fact that it's the room furthest from the blower), and we'd like to squeeze every bit of efficiency out of this system as we can. I'd like to try to save a few pennies a day if possible. We have what has been told to me a properly sized system (although it seems very small physically) and the other auditor said it's running pretty well. Any thoughts on if further insulating this line will help or hinder?

Thanks.

Old 07-07-11, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 288 Votes on 251 Posts
Not a pro but I believe the insulation is just to prevent condensation dripping all over. It has very little bearing on the efficiency of the unit.

Old 07-07-11, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
it is not needed inside the condenser. It is to prevent condensation but also to keep the refrigerant from gaining more heat during the run back from the evap to condenser so it should be replaced between the house and the condenser.

Old 07-08-11, 12:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would replace the insulation from the condenser to the inside the house to the evaporator. Replace what is bad weather beaten, etc. Another thing you can do to squeeze more out of your system is to wash out the condenser coils outside. Turn unit off and take a water hose and wash the dirt and grass clippings out of the coils. Do this twice a year spring and fall and you can get more from your unit. The coils outside dissapate heat off the condenser coil itself so the cleaner they are the more heat they can get rid of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: