How can I tell if my A/C has been serviced and recharged?

Old 07-11-11, 02:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I tell if my A/C has been serviced and recharged?

I'm in the middle of a nightmare with an extremely flaky contractor. He says that he's serviced and recharged the refrigerant. But, he's given me several reasons to not believe him. Plus, there doesn't appear to be any visible signs of work being done, such as no wrench marks on old fasteners and valve caps. Is there a visual clue that indicates the refrigerant level? The air isn't colder. Please help.

Old 07-12-11, 01:27 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are the coils clean? Is the drain pan clean?

Old 07-12-11, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Is there a problem with how the a/c unit is working?
If an a/c was serviced regularly you would not necessarily feel any change to it's output.
Servicing regularly means doing it before there problems.

And, why would he add refrigerant?
You only need to add refrigerant is if there was a leak and if it had to be added the leak would need to be repaired before the serviceman left.

Old 07-12-11, 05:16 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The thing is, we have a pretty decent unit for the size of our home, but the upstairs master bedroom (last stop in the ventilation) never gets below 80˚. This guy was going to add vents to the room, seal up the exposed ventilation in the basement and "charge" and service the outdoor unit. Now that he's half way through the work and besides what is visible, he says that he's already charged and serviced the unit. The unit doesn't look any different. I can't really tell a clean 10 year old coil from a dirty one. The drain pan has definitely not been cleaned. We decided to have him charge the refrigerant since we don't know how long it's been since was last done (we just moved into a 109 year old house 2 years ago).

Last edited by DaveG4; 07-12-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 05:37 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Call somebody else, ideally one that you have checked references. As has been said, no A/C unit ever needs to be recharched - unless there is a leak, in which case don't recharge, fix the leak first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: