Repair Portable AC unit??

Old 07-12-11, 11:40 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair Portable AC unit??

Howdy folks. Hope you can help.

I have Royal Sovereign Portable Air Conditioner ARP-3012. It's a single hose unit, and it;'s about 3 years old.

The other night, the blower wheel (plastic) disintegrated and started bloing fins out th vent.

I opened up the unit but can;t figure out how to get at the blower weel ro replace it. It seems tha the closed refrigerant system would have to be opened to remove it from the unit to get access to the blower wheel.

I'm really frustrated cause the blower wheel only costs about $10 so it would be a cheap repair if I could just get at the thing.

Are these things worth repairing? What is typical labor for a shop? 25 - 35 - 45 per hour?

Not sure what to do here.

Thanks for your input.

HB
Portable Air Conditioner

Old 07-12-11, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I am not familiar with that model but there are often hidden locking clips between plastic sections.
You need to probe the joints to see what you have to manipulate to take it apart.

I work on several things that are assembled like what you are working on and in the absence of instructions force it until something gives.
We see many of these types of devices as disposable because they original cost does not justify paying a factory rep to fix it.
Often when we force opening something, once partially open the proper way becomes obvious.

I am familiar with window units and many of them are extremely difficult to access the insides.
When you do get inside many of them the supporting structure is foam and gets damaged while taking it apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: