Outside AC unit fan is not spinning

Old 07-13-11, 04:46 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside AC unit fan is not spinning

We moved into our house 3 years ago. We never really tried to use the AC until now and it is a number of years old - maybe mid-90s.

I go to the circuit panel and turn on the inside unit that pushes the air through and the outside unit that cools the ac refrigerants. I also flipped the big switch outside to on - the switch for the condenser).

The fan on the outside unit that is suppose to cool the condenser never spins. I'm not sure if the condenser is working either because the air coming out of the vents never seem really cold, just as cool as the basement temperature.

What should I look at to determine what is busted? What electrical tests can I do?

Old 07-13-11, 06:08 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
verify power to outdoor unit, not only at the disconnect outside but also your breaker panel inside.

Old 07-13-11, 07:19 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know how to test 120v on a multimeter - red to positive and black to negative.

how do i test out 220v?

Old 07-13-11, 10:50 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Capslock
I know how to test 120v on a multimeter - red to positive and black to negative.

how do i test out 220v?
AC, whether 120V or 240V, is not positive or negative and it doesn't make any difference which way you hook up the multimeter. 120-V ckts usually have one black and one white conductor. 240-V ckts usually have two black conductors. Red is usually used for a switch leg.

I think you should call in somebody for help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: