AC not working, possibly the blower?

Old 07-16-11, 03:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not working, possibly the blower?

My AC is out and I'm unable to get it repaired in the forseeable future.

I did some diagnostic tests from reading online and confirmed the outside unit is working, however no air blows at all inside on the AUTO setting or the ON setting. From what I can piece together it could be the blower?

I have dogs and wonder if there might be hair in there that I could clean/pull out and solve the problem?

I don't know where the blower is, or how to get to it.

Any ideas for very novice self fixes would be appreciated, it's been in the mid-high 80s in the house, and doesn't get below the high 70s even at night. An upcoming heat wave has been forecasted.

My AC is from Sears, in a small crawlspace. I don't know the model number but I could take a photo of the unit if that would help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 04:06 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetShelby View Post
I don't know where the blower is, or how to get to it.
It's hard to help you over the internet. Could be in the attic, crawlspace, or forced-air furnace. After you find it, do you know how to replace the capacitor, fan motor, etc.? Have you checked the breaker and relay?

From your post, I suspect you are in over your head.

Old 07-16-11, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Gilmorrie,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess the blower could be in any of those places, although I thought the whole thing was in the crawlspace.

As far as the capacitator, breaker and relay, I don't know what those are so I guess I am in over my head. I was hoping I could open something up and try cleaning out and get things moving again.

It's nice this site exits and there are helpful people trying to keep others staying cool

Old 07-16-11, 05:33 PM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
Shelby, post as many pictures as possible of the unit in the crawlspace, we might be able to help. Pictures need to first be uploaded to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com and the the public URLs posted here.

You might also try looking at your local public library for DIY-type books that include a chapter on air conditioning to get familiar with what relays, capacitors and blowers look like.

Old 07-17-11, 06:22 PM
Received 18 Votes on 13 Posts
I guess the blower could be in any of those places, although I thought the whole thing was in the crawlspace.
Where do you change the filter? I'd be surprised if the blower isn't adjacent to the filter. By the way, have you checked the filter?