What happened to vertically-oriented window units?

Old 07-18-11, 11:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What happened to vertically-oriented window units?

I have vertical sliders in my cabin--am I supposed to get a horizontal unit & fill up all the space around & above it--blacking out the room? I guess I can do that but I'd prefer to wall-mount it and there's not enough space for that. Why aren't vertical units available anymore?

Old 07-18-11, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I guess I don't have a good picture of what you have? They move vertically, but they just aren't wide enough for a casement window A/C unit?

Old 07-19-11, 08:18 AM
G
The issue is I can't even find casement-type window AC units. Every unit in every store is the same horizontal type (wider than tall).

The instructions for one of these that I paged through stated it "is intended for use in double-hung sash-type windows. Installation in other types of windows will require modifications" I know sash windows haven't gone the way of the buggy whip but aren't the other types (vert. sliders, casement) also popular?

The "modifications" required would be to remove both sliders since only one is not wide enough for the AC unit. Then all the remaining space above & around the unit will need to be filled. Sideways isn't a problem since it comes with the expanding panels for that but above will need to be be boarded up solid--very solid since the unit is held in place by that upper panel. Sounds very ugly to me.

Old 07-19-11, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I guess I'm still misunderstanding when you say vert sliders? Don't your sashes move side to side? That would be a horizontal slider. And sure they are still out there. Out of 9 moving windows in my house..7 are horizontal sliders.

If it's a narrow unit, a casement A/C might work...and you are right, very few places stock them. Looking online I see there are many places they can be ordered from and I imagine an appliance place like Sears, Best Buy, local independents would be able to give you the specs. Amazon has several that are 14" wide and ship for free. Amazon.com: Frigidaire FRA084KT7 8,000 BTU Slider/Casement Air Conditioner: Home & Garden Not as cheap as equivalent sized horizontal A/C units thats for sure. Not sure how they fill in the space above, but thats not what supports the unit. They either come with braces or you can buy separate heavy duty braces

Old 07-19-11, 09:14 AM
G
My bad on the nomenclature. The windows in my cabin do slide horizontally.

I've been considering a portable, roll-around, AC unit as a work-around that would allow me to keep most of the function and light from my window. They cost 2X as much but it's worth it to me if they work well. I'm suspicious they aren't as efficient as an equivalent-size window unit but don't know where to find this information.

Old 07-19-11, 09:25 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Gunguy is correct that units for horizontal sliders are available but they DO cost more and they are generally NOT available at local department stores. If you are handy and have the tools you can install a common window unit made for vertical single or double hung windows in a horizontal slider. You can purchase plastic glazing ("glass") to fill in above the unit.

If you decide to go with a portable do NOT get a single hose (duct) model as they ARE considerably less efficacious than the two-hose models. I have written on this several times in this forum.

Old 07-20-11, 06:56 AM
G
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
They either come with braces or you can buy separate heavy duty braces
So I bought a 8000 btu regular (horizontal) unit that's narrow enough to fit the smallest window in my house. Not sure if I'll keep it at home or take it to my cabin--depends how well it works out (wife's having hot flashes and can't get the bedroom cold enough to suit her without the rest of the house feeling like a meat locker!). It doesn't come with any sort of support and none is shown in the instructions. It relies on a rail screwed on top of the AC unit to cantilever against the upper sash (or solid filler panel in the case of sliders). I'm wondering if this is sufficient? Maybe the smallish units are better balanced in the opening and dont require a bottom support? I looked at HD and Lowes and didn't see such a support bracket for sale.

Old 07-20-11, 09:13 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have a 10,000 BTU model that was made for the up-down moving windows that I fitted into my left-right sliding window. It doesn't have any braces under it either. When properly set so that the side louvers are not blocked by the window frame (or the additional framing I made) it balances fairly well on the window sill. I did add pieces to the sill, both inside and out, so that the machine had a wide base to sit on rather than just the slider track.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: