outside air conditioner fan not working

Old 07-18-11, 09:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outside air conditioner fan not working

Hello- This is the first time we've tried to turn on the air conditioner this summer. The thermostat seems to work and the house fan turns on to circulate air but the outside fan doesn't turn on and therefore the air isn't cool. We've checked all the breakers.

The only other thing we can see from the outside is that there is a flashing green light in the Xcel super saver device on the outside. I don't know if this means anything- as in, should it be a constant green light?

I've read a lot of posts and people mention bad fan motors and capacitors although most of those posts mention a buzzing noise. We have no buzzing noise.

Anyone have advice on the next thing to check? I'm new to this!

Old 07-19-11, 04:24 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Verify voltage to the contactor, verify the contactor is pulled in during a call for cooling.

Unsure what the super saver device is unless its from your electric company.... If this is the case then you need to call them and ask about the lights.

Old 07-19-11, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Upvotes on 213 Posts
I don't think your power saver is the problem. We have one attached to our water heater and I just checked and the green light is blinking slowly. At 7:30 in the morning I doubt we are getting power cut to it for peak load. The sticker on it also says that if red light is on, power is being temporarily interupted and if the red light is off, power should be available.

Never hurts to ask, of course.

Old 07-19-11, 02:23 PM
D
Do you have an idea where the contactor might be? Is it outside or inside? Part of the thermostat? Thanks for your help!

Old 07-19-11, 05:22 PM
it is in the outside unit electrical panel and looks similar to this.

Old 07-19-11, 08:08 PM
D
Great, thanks! So, I verified what you said and now I see that the contactor is not being pulled in. I pushed it in manually and the unit came on! If the contactor is not being pulled in, is that something I can fix?

Old 07-20-11, 03:52 AM
you need to check for 24V to the coil side of the contactor. If you have voltage replace the contactor, if you dont have voltage you need to find out where the circuit is open or shorted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: