Central Air -Condensor Fan Doesn't Turn and Breaker Trips

Old 07-22-11, 05:36 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central Air -Condensor Fan Doesn't Turn and Breaker Trips

Hello there,

I've been having an issue for the past three days or so. This problem is intermittent. It seems that my 18-year old Rheem 10 SEER Central Air system is having a problem "starting up". Here's what happens when the problem occurs:

-The thermostat will call for cooling, and the air handler will turn on its blower motor.
-When the discharge air doesn't feel cool (maybe after 5 minutes of the blower running), I'll check the condensor fan/compressor outside.
-The condenser fan (or perhaps the compressor) makes a buzzing/humming noise, but nothing is actually moving.
-By this time (after actually noticing the discharge air is warm), the double-pole 30A A/C breaker will be tripped. (The buzzing from the compressor or condenser can still be heard with the 30A breaker tripped).
-Once I reset the breaker, the condensor fan will engage along with the compressor, and everything is fine. (Until it happens again.)

This usually happens every fifth cycle the central air runs. Luckily, this week has been ~100 degrees, so the central air has been on longer, and it takes more time for the failure to occur.

I'm guessing the capacitor is faulty or on it's way out. Are there two capacitors, a start and a run?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 07-23-11, 03:58 AM
F
I would suggest not only a new capacitor but also a hard start which is another capacitor that boosts the first, and I think it would be wise to change your contact station right where all the wires go to in the condenser. I think that is what causing your breaker to trip.

Old 07-24-11, 06:49 AM
N
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an easy enough job to tackle. I'll also look into installing a hard start capacitor.

Nick

Old 07-24-11, 08:09 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Most of the time, The buzzing sound came from your contactor. and when breaker tripped, the only moving part is contactor, nothing else should move and/or making noise. SO, replace the contactor is the first thing to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: