Trane XL1000 Fan got it fixed but just for 12 hrs

Old 07-31-11, 09:40 AM
The compressor is generating heat so I am assuming it is running. Regarding checking the voltage coming from the contactor. I do have a voltage meter, do u have an idiot proof way for me to test the voltage.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-11, 09:46 AM
If you dont know how to use the volt meter then DON'T!!! Call a pro.

Old 07-31-11, 12:49 PM
This is a picture of the contactor, the lower bottom black wire goes to the fan.

This is the fan capacitor, the purple and brown wires go to the fan.

This other capacitor (the round one).

Let me know if you see anything wrong. I have used the voltage meter before, just not sure what wires I would test, can you tell from the pictures?

Old 07-31-11, 12:53 PM
test voltage between black and purple.

Old 07-31-11, 01:36 PM

Old 07-31-11, 04:31 PM
Just to be absolutely sure for myself and future readers.
1. I should do this test while the unit is running.
2. The black fan wire stays connected to the contactor and the purple stays connected to the capacitor.
2. I am going to set my meter to ACV 500v
3. The meter has a black and red wired probes. I am going to touch the fan Black wire connection with the red meter probe and the fan purple wire connection with the black meter probe

Old 07-31-11, 04:40 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. does not matter which lead goes to what terminal as it is alternating current. But yes, you check the voltage at the black lead and the purple lead.

Old 08-01-11, 06:59 AM
I got a zero reading. I tested the meter on one of my house outlets before I tried it on the AC and it worked fine. Is it the contactor and is there something else I should check?

Let me add this in case it has a bearing on the issue. After the fan initially stopped, I had a local dealer stop by for an estimate to replace the unit. I was not home. He decided to turn the unit on to see what the issue might be, unfortunately I had taken the capacitor out and the wires were loose. When he turned it on, he said it sparked. When I got home and checked it, the lead on the red wire that would lead to the fan capacitor had melted away. I replace the lead, hooked up the new capacitor and the unit worked fine for 12hrs.

Since then, I have replaced the fan and the capacitor a 2nd time.

Thanks

Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. does not matter which lead goes to what terminal as it is alternating current. But yes, you check the voltage at the black lead and the purple lead.

Last edited by Yomama; 08-01-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 02:55 PM
You tested a 230V motor on 115V outlet?! DID YOU CHECK VOLTAGE AT BLACK AND PURPLE?!

Old 08-01-11, 04:48 PM
No..no. What I was saying was that to make sure the meter was working, I first tested it on one of my outlets in the house. I then went outside to the AC unit and took a reading of the black and purple and got zero volts.

Old 08-01-11, 05:11 PM
then you are not getting voltage. Was the stat calling for cooling? Try this. Swap the black w/ blue stripe wire (spade connector) with the black wire from the fan.

Old 08-01-11, 06:05 PM
The stat was calling for cooling. the inside air handler turned on when I turned the stat to cool.

I will try the swap. What should I expect and do u want me to retest the same two wires (black and purple)?

Old 08-01-11, 06:16 PM
Previously you stated the compressor was running this indicated to me you had voltage. From the swap I would expect the fan motor to run if it were your contractor that was bad.

Old 08-01-11, 06:57 PM
without a doubt you should change that contactor. those contacts are probably burnt to crap and pitted like crazy. get yourself a new two pole contactor. make sure the voltage is correct as well as the amps. now as far as your problem goes, the contactor doesn't look like its pulled in. are you sure the stat is calling. if it is calling check voltage at the stat wires on the contactor. if your have 24v, your contactor should be pulled in and you should have 230v on the load side of your contactor.

Old 08-02-11, 07:24 AM
I swapped the wires and both the fan and the compressor are on and I am getting cold air in the house. Given it worked before but only for 12 hrs I am not declaring victory yet. I do want to thank you for all the advice and patience to walk me thru it. I'll report later with final result.

RDSTEAM, that picture was taken with the power off that is why the plunger is out. Thanks

Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
Previously you stated the compressor was running this indicated to me you had voltage. From the swap I would expect the fan motor to run if it were your contractor that was bad.

Old 08-02-11, 10:20 AM
If it works with the wires swapped then reposing the contractor would be a good idea.

Old 08-02-11, 11:26 AM
I'll look for a replacement. Meanwhile can I just let it run this way or I am doing some damage? It's been running beautiful all day :-)

Last edited by Yomama; 08-02-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 12:52 PM
Its fine that way..................