Why are mini-duct systems so expensive?

Old 07-26-11, 07:06 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Why are mini-duct systems so expensive?

I'm researching my options to adding AC to an old log cabin type cottage (no forced air system). Seemed reasonable to me that to get the best circulation & comfort a mini-duct system would work out better than a mini split ductless with only 1 or 2 evaporators. What I've found so far in my search is these units typically are sized for large homes needing 2-ton or greater cooling--and they cost big buck$. Like $5000 to start vs. about $1000 for a mini split ductless. I'm wondering why the manufacturers haven't stepped up with small inexpensive systems like are now common for ductless air conditioners? I don't see why these cost so much--aren't the components and technology essentially the same? Can a HVAC guy with experience with these offer me some insight?

Old 07-26-11, 04:03 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The duct and the install is what cost

Old 07-26-11, 05:14 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
a space-pac system like you are talking about still uses and normal outdoor unit and only the air handler and ducts are reduced is size. SO you still half a normal system and by the time you add in the labor to run all the ducts, the duct themselves cost money, the air handler is much bigger than a ductless split. You can see how all this really adds up. The ductless system will always be much cheaper than any ducted system.

Old 07-26-11, 06:13 PM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We don't call duct system mini-duct. It is the central A/C (with duct) for the whole house. In fact it is cheaper then the mini-split ductless system which can only cool one room. if you want to cool the whole house (say 7 rooms) you may need 7 of them.

Old 07-27-11, 05:57 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Who are you referring to as "we"? The HVAC industry? The forum?
IMO there does need to be some way to distinguish between a low-velocity central AC system with typical large metal ducts and these high-velocity systems with small insulated flex hose.

I didn't make up the term "mini duct" and at least using it I was able to find information on this type system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: