A/C stopped working a few days after servicing - now what?

Old 07-26-11, 01:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C stopped working a few days after servicing - now what?

My A/C unit (Rheem, 4 ton, 18 years old) was serviced last week, the service guy removed R22 (said it was grossly over charged) and it worked great for three days, now it only blows room temp air.

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this problem, OR is it time for me to replace the whole thing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-11, 01:26 PM
P
Originally Posted by kevinf. View Post
My A/C unit (Rheem, 4 ton, 18 years old) was serviced last week, the service guy removed R22 (said it was grossly over charged) and it worked great for three days, now it only blows room temp air.

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this problem, OR is it time for me to replace the whole thing.

Thanks.
Was it working before you had it serviced? If so call his back and ask he whats going on. Is the condenser running? Have you checked breakers?or checked for power out side? Is both the outdoor fan and compressor running? Paul

Old 07-26-11, 01:43 PM
K
It was working okay before he came out (before it got hot), but after first hot day, the coil froze up, overwhelmed the drain pan, and leaked through the first floor ceiling (through a recessed lighting hole). I had a guy come out the next day to fix it and he said it was undercharged, so he put freon in and changed the filter. It didn't blow cold after that until the second guy came out and took freon out, saying it was over charged - it blew cold afterward and got the house down to 74 no problem. The condenser continues to run, it just doesn't blow cold anymore, I couldn't get the house below 82 for the past two days.

Old 07-26-11, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
call the tech back..................

Old 07-26-11, 05:50 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
The condenser continues to run, it just doesn't blow cold anymore, I couldn't get the house below 82 for the past two days.
Do you mean the outside condenser fan continues to run? Or....do you mean the evaporator fan (inside fan in your air handler or furnace) continues to run?

Old 07-26-11, 06:27 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
May be the pressure valve is leaking. I have seen so many times that after tech checked the pressure, they simply put the cap back on and assume everything is Ok. not knowing the valve is so old, once you turn it lose , it won't seal tight any more, or simply the tech did not use force to tight the cap (afraid of break it). The truth is only 1 out of 50 techs do a leak test at the valve after they have done their work.