Is this mold on my window AC Units

Old 07-31-11, 01:26 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this mold on my window AC Units

Hey guys, I'm brand new here, but I was wondering, I was just recently inspecting my A/C window units in my house and noticed this grey/black fuzzy looking stuff thats moist and rubs off on my fingers if i touch it, is this the dreaded toxic black mold, caused by high humidity or is it harmless dirt?

Old 07-31-11, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Looks like mold to me...dust is normally more evenly distributed. Is this on the foam filter?

Take them out and replace, or soak in the bathtub with a bleach solution, then rinse in cool water.

Old 07-31-11, 03:15 PM
K
its on the plastic vent where the air blows out of, and the foamy looking stuff that makes up the inside of the air conditioner that you can see when you look inside the vent. I checked the regular air filter and there is just dust there. And would this mold be the harmful kind?

Old 07-31-11, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
No way to tell without testing.

Rental or your property?

Old 07-31-11, 03:42 PM
K
my dads property actually lol, I was gonna ask him to take a look at it but I didn't because unless I have a second opinion on my side or proof, he doesn't take me seriously, and since I have asthma, I'm more weary. For example we had mold in our basement and it took him over a year to get around to bleaching it. So any help on here would be appreciated. I can try to get another pic uploaded if it would help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: