AC Goodman A24-08 coil not working

Old 08-06-11, 07:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AC Goodman A24-08 coil not working

Hi everyone
I have some problems with my AC unit, it is an old unit located inside the house in a little closet.
model

A24-08 Goodman

Tow days ago it stop blowing cold air, a few friend told me that I should clean the coil and replace the filter which I did.

before that the whole unit was somewhat working fine, i was able to hear the fan working and the coil working.

when the coil is working you can hear the noise like a gssssss... thingy meaning that the gas working and if you open the unit you can feel the that the coil is cold and somewhat moist, I'd say normal...

so after I clean the coil and replace the filter the coil is not longer working, I have to say that it wasn't me who clean up the coil it was some "tech" guy I find on internet who was offering AC services, I call and he show up, I told him what I want to do with the AC and he did it, very simple task....

So, after he put it back he told me that I had to wait for 24hrs for the system to get back on track and that I should put the temp below 76'f so I did and I wait...

so after that the coil was all wet dripping, and today the coil is death...

the fan is working fine, the thermostat is working because the unit I think is struggling to get to the temperature i have set up 76' but it can't because the coil is not getting anything, and is not making any noise like it normally would, it has gas... i think...

see I'm not an AC tech so I don't know jack about AC units, but I'm willing to learn...

right now I'm at 92'f, I can post some pictures of the unit if necessary...

Thank you for taking the time to read my post...
I appreciate any help you can give thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 05:59 AM
C
OK, Let's check a few things. 1) Check the outside unit to see if it is running? If it does, hand feel the large(insulated) and the small copper pipe to see if they are warm or cold ? 2) is the inside coil cold ? 3) what is the room supply vent air temperature ? and the room temperature at that time ?

Old 08-07-11, 08:31 AM
F
10:26am - 8/7/11 Actual temp 83'f
it is not an outside unit, it's an inside unit located in a small closet in the center of the house...

Coil is not cold or hot... "cold", 'death', 'normal'... room temperature

the pipe with insulation is no cold or hot, or wet... room temperature
the small pipe, is not cold or hot or wet... room temperature

but now that you mention the small pipe, a day before it stop working, that pipe was very hot, I mean very hot!, which I think is not normal...

well, is not anymore, the coil is death, is not making any single tiny noise, the fan of the unit is working tho...

Last edited by flusher; 08-07-11 at 08:33 AM. Reason: adding more description
Old 08-07-11, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
there has to be an outdoor unit unless it is a geothermal heat pump. Where is the compressor located? Pictures please! The model number you posted is just an air handler. Where is your condenser? OUTSIDE......

Old 08-07-11, 09:12 AM
F

I just learned that the compresor is in the baseman, but I don't have the keys to open the stupid lock that I put there 2 days ago... still I'm gonna break in...

Old 08-07-11, 09:12 AM
C
OK, now you found the condenser, you need to check that unit first to see if it is running. Are you sure that unit is in the basement. usually, the condenser must be in an open space.

Old 08-07-11, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
the condenser had better not be in the basement as it is required per installation manuals and building codes that it be installed outside unless it is a geothermal split system. When you get into the basement please post pictures and model numbers of the unit.

Old 08-08-11, 04:58 PM
F
Sorry guys I didn't get back at you on time.

The compressor unit was NOT in the baseman, it was located outside on the side of the house the problem was that it was hidden behind some bushes, very old unit no number wer fund all rusty, the fan was still working tho, but the compressor was not, so today I purchase a new unit $ 1,200.00 for the whole job... I'm a first time house owner, I've always been in apartments, so I never had to deal with this sort of issues...

The house is old, I just recently buy it (2 weeks) but i didn't had the chance to inspect it properly, I'll be no surprise if something else came up, like licking pipes and such...

thank you all for helping